Chapters - Second Hand Books

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

princess tinkerbelle Posts: 811
Was having a bit of a clear out over the hols and I have loads of books that I have read and would like to sell to a second hand bookshop. Does anyone know roughly how much Chapters pay per book? (Every little helps!!)
coraline Posts: 925
Hi !! I did this recently, did a big clear out to make room for new stuff. I brought approx 100 books into Chapters, all newish paperbacks in perfect condition. The very grumpy guy first offered me 25 euro, then finally agreed to give me 30 euro. I wasa bit surprised, I was estimating more along the lines of 50c to a euro per book, they would have cost about 15 euro each when I bought them. To be honest I wouldn't bother doing it again, will be giving my books to Oxfam shop in future.....
princess tinkerbelle Posts: 811
Wow, that's not much is it? Especially when you consider that most books cost about E10 each, you read them once and then you're finished with them. I had heard somewhere before that they gave you E1 per book but was on the website and it said that they "evaluate" the books once they are brought in to the shop. Wonder would you get more if you brought in fewer books at a time?
mollyeile Posts: 2486
I think it depends on the books -quality and the no. of copies of the title already in stock. And bringing in a few books at a time would also be better I think.
Hepburn Posts: 4081
[quote="coraline":2vpmmach] they would have cost about 15 euro each when I bought them. [/quote:2vpmmach] You need to start shopping around if you are paying that much for books.
mrspants Posts: 4652
i always donate my old books to my local library. and as they are after having huge budget cuts i will continue to do so. they are much more grateful than most charity shops.