Charity/Volunteer Work??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

judibaby Posts: 2085
Just wondering if anyone does any charity or volunteer work? I've felt so guilty since comic relief I feel I should be doing more. We have been sponsoring a child with worldvision for the last year, but apart from dropping coins in a box at the supermarket that's about it...
*gone* Posts: 4785
I do volunteer with a childrens charity, but it only really involves work at one particular time of the year for a couple of weeks surrounding the main event. I did volunteer for the Simon Community but I'm ashamed to say that after the induction evening, I chickened out and was too scared to go through with it. :o(
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
I have PM'd you.
A friend of mine spends one night a week visiting cancer patients in the local hospice, she just chats to them and files their nails sometimes, reads to them etc. i really admire her, as she never knows from week to week who will still be there when she goes. i'd love to do it, but tbh, don'tknow if i'd be strong enough, i'd get very upset about it i think...
strawberry shortcake Posts: 9094
i used to help out with an annual charity raising thingy but dont really anymore
aoifed Posts: 580
I know its not technically the same, but I do give platelets every month. I would like to do work with a charity, but as I work full time and have been studying 2 nights per week as well for the past while, I didn't feel I would have the energy to make a proper commitment. This might just be the kick up the a$$ I need though! Defo going to look into it now.
Christmas B Posts: 6191
[quote="judibaby":34iqhz8h]A friend of mine spends one night a week visiting cancer patients in the local hospice, she just chats to them and files their nails sometimes, reads to them etc. i really admire her, as she never knows from week to week who will still be there when she goes. i'd love to do it, but tbh, don'tknow if i'd be strong enough, i'd get very upset about it i think...[/quote:34iqhz8h] Oh that's lovely!! God, I feel so guilty now, I don't do any charity work.
mad woman Posts: 22106
What about working in one of the shops on a saturday moring? or taking part in the homeless soup run that the simon community do?
I know christmas b- she got the work through her job, she works in the bank, and the hospice approached them to see if any staff were interested, she loves it now and wouldn't miss a week for anything!