Charlotte Church makes breastfeeding sound a doddle

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sunnyside Posts: 3164
Anyone read her comments on sky news? She doesn't seem to mention any of the difficulties that can come with it too. Did anyone find breastfinding totally straight-forward or are there always some difficulties?
oirish Posts: 1541
of course she didnt mention difficulties - she wouldn't be encouraging other young mums if she did :D My mother's story on breastfeeding me - "well, you cried and I just put you up to the boob and you fed for 20 mins and that was it, didn't get shown what to do or anything, as for sore nipples I don't know what people are talking about I didn't get anything like that" I reckon 26 years has dulled the memories somewhat - it couldn't be that straightforward :o0
charli Posts: 5994
its definetely easier/handier ONCE you have the knack (well you and baby) - id say the first 10 days were tough, just as you are both learning, the sore nipples/fullness, feeding on demand but i found once the 10 days past we really got ourselves a good routine going and it made the night feeds etc much easier ok it can be hard when you are delerious from lack of sleep that you dont have much help, but you can snooze when baby snoozes throughout the day - especially on your first im with Charlotte, if you can, go for it!! - at least keep an open mind and think about trying it, on my first i didnt put pressure on myself but i wanted to do it, so i said i would try, then i took each day as it came - and fed her for 5 months, dd2 is still BF'ing, and have to say they were both happy, content easy babies
fantac Posts: 4109
hi girls - for me it was that simple - DD would feed for about 12-15min every 3 or 4 hours and that was it - never had sore nipples and she latched on pretty much perfectly everytime. the first few days aren't so easy as all teh bottle babies in hosp are sleeping longer spells and your tired but knowing you're doing whats best for baby makes it easier and its so much less hassle, no bottles, sterilising, washing or buying formula. i know not everyone has an easy time of it with bf'ing, but i do believe people only tell you the horror stories - a lot of teh time its just the most natural thing in teh world and happens very easily. it gets far too much bad press imho!
sunnyside Posts: 3164
[quote="SnuggleMuffin":3eacglst]hi girls - for me it was that simple - DD would feed for about 12-15min every 3 or 4 hours and that was it - never had sore nipples and she latched on pretty much perfectly everytime. the first few days aren't so easy as all teh bottle babies in hosp are sleeping longer spells and your tired but knowing you're doing whats best for baby makes it easier and its so much less hassle, no bottles, sterilising, washing or buying formula. i know not everyone has an easy time of it with bf'ing, but i do believe people only tell you the horror stories - a lot of teh time its just the most natural thing in teh world and happens very easily. it gets far too much bad press imho![/quote:3eacglst] That;s good to hear. Not that I am naive enough to think it won't be difficult/perhaps impossible but it's nice to hear that it can be pretty straightforward too.
Midlands Mum Posts: 871
Hi Girls I breastfed both my children, the first for 3mths and found no problems at all except the lack of sleep as i was obviously the only one who could do the night feeds and babs was a hungry little boy. I decided to stop BF so my DH could play more of an active part - and i could get a break :o0 When we had DS2 i just said ''oh ill definately BF'' just assuming id have the same experience. However, it wasnt the same DS2 didnt feed the same and i was in absolutely agony at every feed. To a stage where i couldnt bare the thought of feeding him. The guilt nearly killed and after 10days and alot of crying i had to say, the important thing is to feed this baby regardless of how its fed and so i gave him a bottle and we never looked back. So here we are again with No3 and this time im just saying, ill give it a go and if it doesnt work well ill give babs a bottle. You can only do your best - each baby is different and feeds differently. The important thing is that the baby gets fed. Best of luck. :wv
fantac Posts: 4109
[quote="sunnyside":10ow8joq][quote="SnuggleMuffin":10ow8joq]hi girls - for me it was that simple - DD would feed for about 12-15min every 3 or 4 hours and that was it - never had sore nipples and she latched on pretty much perfectly everytime. the first few days aren't so easy as all teh bottle babies in hosp are sleeping longer spells and your tired but knowing you're doing whats best for baby makes it easier and its so much less hassle, no bottles, sterilising, washing or buying formula. i know not everyone has an easy time of it with bf'ing, but i do believe people only tell you the horror stories - a lot of teh time its just the most natural thing in teh world and happens very easily. it gets far too much bad press imho![/quote:10ow8joq] That;s good to hear. Not that I am naive enough to think it won't be difficult/perhaps impossible but it's nice to hear that it can be pretty straightforward too.[/quote:10ow8joq] hi sunny - a friend once said to me how can breastfeeding be impossible - for millions of people in teh world its the only option - and i guess he had a point - even if its often much more difficult than bottles! charli is right - go in with an open mind and take each day as it comes - feed by feed - some are just heaven and some are horrible when your eyes are falling out of your head with tiredness - but i guess that'd be the same with bottles at 4am!!
Rocky Posts: 465
I had no problems either with breastfeeding, i was just very lucky i suppose. Our little woman took to it no problem and i never had sore boobs. The only negative thing is the tiredness as you dont get much breaks in between feeding. Its such a wonderful feeling, i feel so lucky that it worked out. On my second now, and just presumed it will go as easy but after reading the mail above, im getting scared that it wont be as easy this time. To be honest, once the baby is fed enough and if we have to use the bottle so be it, a happy baby is all that matters Rocky
motherhubbard Posts: 3037
Sorry to hi-jack this post, I'm like Sunnyside and I am hoping to "TRY" and I am keeping a very open mind but another thing I have been told(and as somebody said earlier people are always willing to tell the horror stories) is weaning off the breast on to a bottle, even if its after 3 weeks, 3 months or 6 months, that it is very hard.. any recommendations on expressing and getting baby used to a bottle too? And did you guys find this difficult also? Thanks
the moms Posts: 1427
Toni, I've been reading that it's easiest if you express and bottle feed once a day from early on (like the first week). I have no experience myself yet, but I plan to start expressing after a few days, and get DH to do one bottle feed a day to give me a little break from breastfeeding. That's the plan anyway, it sounds so simple but I'm sure it won't be! :o0 :o0