Cheese q - Brie

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Lizy09 Posts: 482
Ok i LOVE brie as a starter when out for something to eat but getting some confusing information - is it ok to heat when it is hot and coated in breadcrumbs??
silverlight Posts: 628
It's not the cooking of it that's a problem, it's the fact that it's made with unpasteurised milk & therefore you could contract listeria from it. ETA: The risk is probably small & probably lessened by cooking properly but still a risk.
Lureal Posts: 455
Heating to a sufficent temperature will completely destroy any listeria that is in it. It is totally safe to have piping hot cheese. Although if it is out you are eating it you might want to check with the chef how hot it is cooked just to make sure it is steaming and not just heated.
Daff Posts: 11644
I lvoe Brie but it's the one cheese that I stayed clear of when pregnant. Very rarely would it be piping hot. Even cooked in breadcrumbs the middle usually woulnd't be hot enough to kill the listeria. DD2 is 2 weeks old and last week I got brie and sat and ate the whole lot with crackers and blue cheese :-8
Sydney Bristow Posts: 185
[quote="lovemybaby":2mggmngy]Very rarely would it be piping hot. Even cooked in breadcrumbs the middle usually woulnd't be hot enough to kill the listeria.[/quote:2mggmngy] Agree with this. There's always some little cold bit in it. Could you get someone else to order it and you can taste a bit that's fully cooked?
xx fairy mommy xx Posts: 1833
My dr told me that pasteurised cheese was ok including Brie! She told me to steer clear of blue veined cheese though! So I wouldn't chance anything in a restaurant even though you would think deep fried Brie should be cooked through but i have been indulging at home - Brie is my favourite cheese! Only the pasteurised stuff of course! I've cubed and breaded it at home before - it's not hard work if you wanna give it a go