Child Care.....worried and not sure what to do

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

FoxyLockz Posts: 2448
Hey ladies.... I'm looking for some advice so i'm hoping you can help me. I've started to think about child care for when i have to go back to work in Jan and the thoughts of the cost of childcare is soul destroying! I have no family near me, they all live in Dublin. When i went back to work after I had my son, my dad looked after him as he only lived 2 mins away from me it was perfect but now its totally different. Sure you know yourself, by the time you get paid and you pay out all your bills and mortgage or rent, theres hardly anything left over for any type of luxury spend like a trip to the cinema or an early bird somewhere so how in earth am i going to afford to pay out creche fees equivilant to another mortgage? Both of hubbys parents work so i can't ask them, none of my parents work but they don't drive either. Neither hubby or I can afford to stop working so its catch 22. A neighbour of mine said she has no problem minding the baby for me but by the time i got back to work her baby will be 18 months and then with my baby also i'm afraid it will be too much for her. At the min he brings DS to school and collects him as her other son is the same age as mine so if i go ahead with it she will be lumbered with my 2 aswell as her own... Uhh i just don't know what to do. I'm sure the cost of her minding my 2 will be the same as paying for a creche anyway so i'm stuck!! :o(
jdurso Posts: 351
Could you speak you your bank and restructure your mortgage? I think far too many people in this country are slaves to their mortgages and it is family life which is suffering. The cost of childcare is a scandal here, my husband is Brazilian and they have excellent creches there which are public - like primary schools here.
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
There must be other child minders too? I've just started looking into creches and child minders myself. My parents both work full time and I don't want to impose on my inlaws, plus I kind of prefer having a bit of 'distance' that comes with a minder or creche in terms of preferences for the child etc. Is there any reduction for having two children in the creche or would you try to negotiate fees with them? Have you considered whether it might be worth being at home with them for a couple of years? I know once we have a second one (fingers crossed) it just won't be worth my while working, so I plan on a career break (luckily I can have this option) and my husband will get my tax credits, so we would come out slightly better than paying childcare and juggling everything. Would you be able to work out whether that's an option? i know a couple of people who thought there'd be no way they'd be able to afford to stay home but when they worked out the tax situation, child care costs and general stress of having to juggle children and work, they decided to stay home. We decided to live on one salary when we started TTC and TBH its not working out too badly, its made us realise we can get on with a lot less that we thought we needed and we're much more careful about unplanned spending.
[quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":1ggzel11]There must be other child minders too? I've just started looking into creches and child minders myself. My parents both work full time and I don't want to impose on my inlaws, plus I kind of prefer having a bit of 'distance' that comes with a minder or creche in terms of preferences for the child etc. [b:1ggzel11]Is there any reduction for having two children in the creche or would you try to negotiate fees with them?[/b:1ggzel11] Have you considered whether it might be worth being at home with them for a couple of years? I know once we have a second one (fingers crossed) it just won't be worth my while working, so I plan on a career break (luckily I can have this option) and my husband will get my tax credits, so we would come out slightly better than paying childcare and juggling everything. Would you be able to work out whether that's an option? i know a couple of people who thought there'd be no way they'd be able to afford to stay home but when they worked out the tax situation, child care costs and general stress of having to juggle children and work, they decided to stay home. We decided to live on one salary when we started TTC and TBH its not working out too badly, its made us realise we can get on with a lot less that we thought we needed and we're much more careful about unplanned spending.[/quote:1ggzel11] My son is 11 and is in primary school so the neighbour brings him to school and collects him for me as her son is in the same class, plus she only lives next door to me. If I need a creche it would only be for this little one. When me and my neighbour were having a chit chat i was telling her i'd be looking for a creche she was like thats nonsense i'm right next door i can do it for you no problem as she could do with an extra few bob also i thought this was perfect problem solved but i can harldy expect her to do it for a lot less than a creche and i don't want her to feel like i'm taking advantage either ya know. I really did strongly think about taking a year or so out of work but we simply cannot afford it...we've loans coming out of our ears sure were just barely getting by as it is. If i do decide that it may be our only option, does anyone know what entitlements i can avail of? I'd imagine not much if i'm married and hubbys working :duh:
BipsyBoo Posts: 1534
[quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":3magt49o]Have you considered whether it might be worth being at home with them for a couple of years? I know once we have a second one (fingers crossed) it just won't be worth my while working, so I plan on a career break (luckily I can have this option) and my husband will get my tax credits, so we would come out slightly better than paying childcare and juggling everything. Would you be able to work out whether that's an option? i know a couple of people who thought there'd be no way they'd be able to afford to stay home but when they worked out the tax situation, child care costs and general stress of having to juggle children and work, they decided to stay home. We decided to live on one salary when we started TTC and TBH its not working out too badly, its made us realise we can get on with a lot less that we thought we needed and we're much more careful about unplanned spending.[/quote:3magt49o] +1 to this. I decided not to go back to work after having DD and we are not worse off after the tax credits and saving on commute and childcare.
Mrsreddy Posts: 472
would you not consider a child minder instead of a creche? i'm a childminder myself and i've also used another childminder when i was working myself and the fees are definitely less than a creche and most childminders (myself included) give a reduction for the second child. Where are you based? Check the local county council for registered childminders or post an ad on rollercoaster or schooldays.ie and your sure to find someone that you feel comfortable with. Hope this helps
sshh Posts: 416
Hey ya, As you have been working you could be entitled to job seekers benefit if you leave your job, there are rules on how long you must have finished if you left voluntarily though, seems like 9 weeks. But this is independent of any other earnings ie not means tested, and lasts for 12 months. Although it is taxable, you should still be able to transfer the unused tax credits through your husband. http://www.hookhead.ie/Tools/tax2012.jsp I find this website great for working out net pay...as it is the net pay you will have to pay your bills from. You can change the cut off and the pension, salary sacrifice etc to suit your circumstances. So work out your disposable with both working and paying childcare, add in the costs of you getting to work, eating lunch out, etc and then do the same with just your husband working using your tax credits & you getting job seekers benefit for the year. In the end it might not come down to a lot different. Hth! It is always a tough decision, but sometimes working out the actual cost of you going out to work can help make it for you. Obviously there are loads of other factors like career planning, how long you will require childcare for etc but this is just a financial viewpoinht :) Good luck!
[quote="Mrsreddy":3euxy7us]would you not consider a child minder instead of a creche? i'm a childminder myself and i've also used another childminder when i was working myself and the fees are definitely less than a creche and most childminders (myself included) give a reduction for the second child. Where are you based? Check the local county council for registered childminders or post an ad on rollercoaster or schooldays.ie and your sure to find someone that you feel comfortable with. Hope this helps[/quote:3euxy7us] Thats what i'm thinking, my neighbour has offered to do this but not sure of what the costings would be though. I would need to have a chat obviously with her but i have no clue when it comes to money how much we would have to pay to make it worth our while for both parties though. What would be a trypical weekly or monthly rate for a child minder in their own home?
Mari yay Posts: 4045
[quote="FoxyLockz":34vs3tzn] i can harldy expect her to do it for a lot less than a creche and i don't want her to feel like i'm taking advantage either ya know. [/quote:34vs3tzn] I'm sure she wouldn't have offered if she wasn't serious. You wouldn't have to match the fees of a creche, think about the extras the creche have to cover...rent, electricity, wages, insurance. This woman is offering to do it in her own home, you could go straight home after work, no stopping to collect a baby. Also baby would be with big brother too, I think personally I'd like the idea of keeping them together. I think you should sit down and talk to her properly, find out what she expects to earn, have an idea of what you can afford, and go from there. I'd be delighted to be in that position, you're lucky to at least have the option, really think it's worth exploring. Best of luck!
Mrsreddy Posts: 472
well i'm based in dublin and i charge 40 euro per full day for the 1st child and 30 euro per day for the second child. its 25 euro a day if its a half day i.e. a school day and this includes meals of lunch and dinner i've based my rates on what other people are charging in dublin