Choice of church songs

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sillysocks Posts: 1390
We're going down the route of a CD music for our church wedding. Trying to pick out songs now.... have quite a list but wondering if anyne has any other suggestions or critique of it all !? Church is very small so hopefully CD sound should be fine! Nearly all of it is Il Divo and Andrea Bocelli - trying to keep things in roughly the same sound rahter than jumping around with different styles of music. My entrace: Pachbels cannon in D Mothers lighting candles (getting married in Spain and the mothers light the small candles instead of us) : Il Divo - Mama (have cut out just a small bit because it won't take the full song!) Gifts - Il Divo - Hallelujah Communion - Il Divo - Ave Maria & Andrea Bocelli&Celine Dion - The Prayer Signing register - Il Divo - Everytime I look at you & Il Divo - I believe in You. Leaving church - Andrea Bocelli - Canto Della Terra Have also picked out music to have while people are waiting on me to arrive - all Andrea Bocelli: Because we believe Sogno Mille Lune Mille Onde Melodrama Dare to Live
SiobhanOliverSoprano Posts: 3150
sounds gorgeous! I love Canto Della Terra. Have you checked that Hallelujah is ok with the priest? I presume it's the Leonard Cohen one?
Thanks for the reply...... haven't checked that specific one with the priest yet! Again we wont need the full song so going to just have the actual bit that says Hallelujah a few times. Do priests sometimes have an issue with it? We asked the priest already if he has any thoughts on the music and he said once it wasn't hard rock or rap then it was fine (such a shame.... ruled out half our music :o0 ) Once we've decided though I'll send him the list and see what he says.
This is the version of Hallelujah , not sure if its originally Leonard Cohen? Thinking of cutting out the bit from around 45 seconds to 1min 10seconds on the video.
[quote="sillysocks":3fmw0uzd] We asked the priest already if he has any thoughts on the music and he said once it wasn't hard rock or rap then it was fine (such a shame.... ruled out half our music :o0 ) [/quote:3fmw0uzd] :o0 forgot they sang it in Italian so you might get away with it!!! It's the verse that the priests would have an issue with - I've sung the Hallalujah part at weddings and just left out the verses so you should be fine doing that! It's such a gorgeous melody
mrsgameover Posts: 383
Hi Sillysocks, Love the music you have chosen. There is a new CD which has come out this week by The Priests. Has all church music on it and may include a couple of options that you haven't gotten your hands on so far. Not exactly certain of what is on it but it may be worth a look
Must check out that CD too! Thanks Siobhan..... will just be the hallelujah bit so hopefully will be ok. Don't suppose you have any idea how long (timewise) we shoudl allow for the lighting of the candles and gifts? Just wondering how long to have the clip of music...... dont want it too short or going on for ages once the music is finished. Church is very small so won't be much of a walk for either.
about 30 seconds for the candles and a minute for the offertory if it's a small church! you can get away with a bit longer at the offertory as the priest sometimes just carries on quietly while the music's finishing up so don't worry too much about the offertory - as long as the mums or whoever is taking up the bread and wine remember to go up on time :o0 It can be a little uncomfortable alright at the candles if the music goes on a bit as you'll be just standing there waiting whereas at the offertory you'll be seated so it's not too bad! Katherine Jenkins has just released an album called Sacred Arias and it has some lovely pieces on it including the Hallelujah!! It also has the Lord Is My Shephard from the Vicar of Dibley and it's gorgeous Siobhan
Thanks so much ! will check out that album. Thats roughly how long I was thinking!
deda Posts: 1220
So you like Il Divo then???