choosing hospital & birthing options

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

buttercupbabe Posts: 1224
Hi girls, I'm reading 'What to expect when you're expecting' & the various birthing choices available. My sister had a baby in London six months ago & the whole set up there seemed fantastic, from birthing rooms, 'at home in the hospital' rooms, whirlpool tubs/baths, facilities for water births etc. This is my first baby so basically I don't have a clue but I have this notion (possbly naive) that it won't be quite like that in Ireland. Do the maternity hospitals here (in particular in Dublin) have all these options available to us & how do you decide what hospital to go for? Is it basically the one closest to you? Buttercupbabe
littlemisshopeful Posts: 6101
None of the Dublin hospitals have birthing pools at all I don't think. Holles St don't even have baths but their showers are great. I think they are all pretty good care wise. I chose based on convenience for me getting to appointments and also as we were all born there and my niece and nephews were too and my sister used to work there. Can't complain about it and I would go back there again, although I would love a birthing pool. I was public.
lcarrick Posts: 1639
i'm going to ballinasloe, co galway, its 20 mins from my house, dont think they have any birthing pools, i'd love one though! but the care is fantastic, the midwives are so nice! for me its convinence (sp), i'd rather get to a hospital on time then make an extra long journey for something that ya mightn't have time for in the end! i'm public too!
Toblerone Posts: 2698
[quote="buttercupbabe":88a6g5kj]Hi girls, I'm reading 'What to expect when you're expecting' & the various birthing choices available. My sister had a baby in London six months ago & the whole set up there seemed fantastic, from birthing rooms, 'at home in the hospital' rooms, whirlpool tubs/baths, facilities for water births etc. This is my first baby so basically I don't have a clue but I have this notion (possbly naive) that it won't be quite like that in Ireland. Do the maternity hospitals here (in particular in Dublin) have all these options available to us & how do you decide what hospital to go for? Is it basically the one closest to you? Buttercupbabe[/quote:88a6g5kj] Where in Dublin do you live? There is a pool in Rotunda but it's not in use due to staffing (afaik). There really are limited options in Dublin for a birthing experience like your sister had unless you want to have a home birth! I looked at where the hospital was in relation to my work and home. I went with Rotunda because they have midwife clinic in Blanchardstown so I attended there for all apts and only went into the hospital for delivery. Also I could transfer home early to the same team and they visited every day and I could ask all the questions I had - which was many and they gave brilliant one on one support for those early days. Have you been to doctor? Did they recommend any hospital? you really should try to phone and make apt as soon as possible.
GentleBirth Posts: 750
Hi Buttercup, For the kind of service your sister had your best bet would be one of the Birth centers in Cavan hospital or the Lourdes in Drogheda (also called the MLU - Midwife Led Unit). They have the beautiful spacious birthing rooms where your partner can stay overnight....and access to the birth pools. Waterbirths are under review at the moment but we're hopeful that they'll be back up and running by the end of the year in the birth centers. The Rotunda has a pool but it's not open for use (for labouring or birth). As others have said H.Street has no baths and the Coombe doesn't use it's bath either. I would suggest thinking about the kind of birth you want (as well as the convenience factor of location) so that you choose a hospital that will support you in your choices. Would you like to labour in water? Would you like to avoid a caesarean or routine induction? Would you like to have a 'free range' birth ie not strapped to a CTG machine? Would you like to give birth in a position of your choosing? Would you like to have the best opportunity to breastfeed? Even at early stages of pregnancy the decisions you make now will impact your care during labour - the more informed you are the more confident you'll feel. Have a look at some of the information here so you can see the differences in policies/facilities available. http://www.cuidiu-ict.ie/fulcrum.html?ep=13 You might find my book helpful as it'll help you navigate the Irish system (The Better Birth Book). Some Wollies here might be finished with theirs. Tracy
amberjack Posts: 1273
The Rotunda have a bath in the induction room which is beside the labour ward. Not sure what's in the labour ward as never got there (had section, as failure to induce) I did have a bath while being induced which was more to pass the time than anything else and it was very relaxing, never got any pains or contractions, but imagine it would be good for that. I picked The Rotunda as I was born there and it was the closest hospital to me and have to say, all the staff were fantastic!
buttercupbabe Posts: 1224
Thanks for all the replies girls. I'm all for convienience too & have registered with the Rotunda hospital as living in North Dublin. I'm a little disappointed with the options open to us girls though. I havent completely decided on the type of birth I'd like but I definitely wanted to labour in water. I know the MLUs have some other options ove the general hospitals but you can't opt for an epidural while there without being transferred to a hospital. Plus, I dont fancy trying to make the journey to Cavan or Drogheda in late Decemeber, early January, esp if the weather is anything like last year!! :o( I think I'll end up trying to stick it out for as long as possible at home in my own bath!
GentleBirth Posts: 750
Staying home in your own bath is even better! Please keep asking about the pool in the Rotunda or we'll stay in the dark ages forever! You can have an epidural if you're an MLU Mum - you just walk down the stairs to the labour ward. :) Tracy