Christening Present

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Positive2012 Posts: 481
I'm looking for ideas for a christening presents for my DH's Best Friends little girl. We can't make the christening and will call that evening for about an hour so we won't be going to the church or for any food etc afterwards. How much would you generally spend on a present and do you think cash or a gift would be best? Would love to get some ideas. O:o)
hadtoleave Posts: 2522
Did you give a present when the baby was born? If so I wouldn’t think a christening gift is necessary except for the godparents .… when my OH’s friend had a baby we bought a present for about €50 when the child was born. We went to the christening and back to the house afterwards where people were having a couple of drinks and think we just brought a couple of bottles of wine and a token gift for the child (it was around christmas so brought a christmas stocking with his name on it)
Daff Posts: 11644
Yeh if you got present at birth I wouldn't expect one for Christening too. If you did want to bring something so not to arrive empty handed I always loved getting gift voucher (mothercare, Mama's & Papa's) €20 would get a lovely outfit that i'd never be able to jusitfy spending money on usually. Or depending on their age a little toy. DD got a brilliant blow up ring thing for her to lie or sit in from a friend for her Christening and it was great.
wwwife Posts: 948
Cant go wrong with clothes Next have lovely stuff to suit whatever budget.
Positive2012 Posts: 481
Yeah we spent about 60 euros on a gift for her when she was born but would hate to come empty handed even though we aren't going to be at the church etc. I was looking at those personalised teddy bears as we have already got clothes for her. Thanks for the suggestions :)
Jawl Posts: 8881
Typical Ireland and the way it has become today! What happened to the days when somebody has a baby, you buy a gift and take it to the hospital or drop it into their home, go to the christening and enjoy the day???? :eek
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
If you spent that much on a present for the birth I'd just go with a Christening card & maybe a bottle of wine the night of the Christening.
MrsDarcy Posts: 805
We had a christening for our little one two weeks ago and tbh she got too many presents. It was ridiculous. The nicest present she got was a plain pink frame that Id say only cost about €10, its gorgeous. Im planning on putting a christening photo in it to put in her room. If I was going to a christening myself I'd only spend about €15 or thereabouts. But its down to todays society like the other poster said - I only said to dh last week - your expected to pay a lot more for things to recipricate what you receive to stop people reading you behind your back. Too much pressure. I'd hate to turn up with no gift.
nelswife Posts: 3869
Personally i would stay away from getting the trinket type boxes, that you out first tooth and curl in, or the birth cert, my friends said she got about 5 of these are her sons christening .. If they are good friends would you not offer to buy them the christening candle?..you can get beautiful ones online for about €20 and they will always have it Or maybe a personalised baby record book Amazon have lovely gifts" my friends recently had twins and i am going to get them this when they have the babies naming day [attachment=0:3jt6x0uf]twin sculpture.jpg[/attachment:3jt6x0uf] You can get it with just one baby too!!....