Christenings - when do you do this?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

BONSER Posts: 82
My friends baby is almost 1 and she is having her christening next week, i thought this was strange, i thought christenings had to be in the first 6 months??
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
It depends on the couple I suppose,usually its about 6wks after but not everyone is in the form to have one so soon...although it is strange to see an infant being christened rather than a baby
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
They normally are in the first 6 months but I suppose everybody is different. Personally I would feel that a 1 year old looks too big having the water on their head and would be harder to control that a little baby but each to their own!
Baby cakes Posts: 1237
My first was 11 1/2 mths getting christened, she walked up with her dad and godfather :-8
Tigletts Posts: 2904
There's no hard and fast rule I don't think, it's really up to the parents. I suppose it depends too on your religous beliefs. Not like long ago when my poor Mum had a still born child and the lovely Nun told her it woudn't go to heaven because it wasn't baptised -- sorry it still makes my blood boil, especially as it was v important to Mum and she was very very unwell herself to say the least. Anyhow...... I'm of catholic upbringing and DH is CoE, we got married in CoI so I just hope things don't get complicated with the families. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
breeze Posts: 1175
as the rest say it depends on the couple. We had our DS christened wehn he was 4 months. Much easier than a 1yo, IMO.
luigi Posts: 867
DS was 4 weeks. It was only then that I felt human enough to arrange it. I think they used to be around 2 weeks old when they were christened but no one really cares now. Depends how religious you are really.
bibikay Posts: 644
1 year old is fine - sure, you can be christened when you're an adult, so what difference does it make. It completely depends on the couple and what they want.
Estobesto Posts: 632
Both my girls were Christened when they were 3/4 months old..
Estobesto Posts: 632
[quote="Baby cakes":y4wvup5u]My first was 11 1/2 mths getting christened, she walked up with her dad and godfather :-8[/quote:y4wvup5u] I also meant to say - How CUTE!!!!! O:o)