Circumsism

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Lady Di Posts: 2487
Weird one I know but just wondering do any of your DH's want to have your baby circumsised if you have a boy? Do they even do it now just for hygiene reasons, my Mum thinks there has to be a problem for them to do it now!
Lady Muck Posts: 19
They were on about it in Sex and the City the other night and I was wondering that too.
Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
My DS was circumcised last year when he was 7. It was never an issue when he was born though. He always had very tight foreskin, and I never touched it. I was told last year I should have been trying to gently loosen it when he was younger, but I always thought you should never fiddle with it, and let nature take its course. Anyway, he was always fiddling and scratching, and saying it was sore, so doctor referred him for surgery. He's fine now, but at the time I felt so guilty like it was my fault for not doing something sooner. There is no reason to have it done as standard (the way it is in the US), but DS was done purely for medical reasons. I will say though that the younger they are the better if it needs doing. Its hard to explain to 7 yr old. :o(
Lady Di Posts: 2487
Thats interesting DM and don't be silly blaming yourself. You see my DH is circumsised so thats why he wants it done, but I heard if you get it done when they're a tiny baby they don't use any anesthetic or anything and the baby screams and screams (obviously). I really don't think I'd be able to go through with that, that could of just been someone winding me up though, I'm very gulable!! :-8
molls Posts: 149
I don't think Irish hospitals will circumcise a baby without a medical reason. After a baby died in Waterford after being circumcised (outside of a hospital by someone who wasn't a doctor) there was talk of setting up a procedure to allow non-medical circumcisions in Irish hospitals. However,I don't think anything came of that.
Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
Lady Di, Its entirely the decision of you and DH. I'm sure Doctor can advise you too, but afaik they WILL do it if you request it. But whatever you do, don't do too much research on the net, I did and ended up in tears. Some stupid extremist people have sites up referring to it as a form of child abuse, and mutilation (Jeez its not like in Africa). I was in tears after reading it. Obviously once its done in a modern western hospital it will be done properly without uneccessary pain to the little one. With DS he had general anaesthetic. He did have infection afterwards, as the area around stitches was septic, but he got antibiotics for that. The hospital were fantastic with him. There are actually some benefits too, such as hygiene reasons, plus meant to lower his partners odds of cervical cancer - not obviously a reason to get it done, but nice to know for the future all the same! My main worry was would it affect his sex life later on. I'd hate him to blame that on me, but GP said "he probably won't actually do so, but he [b:17oys9c6]should[/b:17oys9c6] thank you for it"?!?! Something to do with the whole area being more sensitive! Your DH should be able confirm that one :o0
fantac Posts: 4109
hey - hiya lady di - all settled down for us and going well now- hope youre in good form too! my h2b is circumsized too, as are his nephews (who were born and 'done' in spain). if we have a boy, we will try and have him circumsized, just for hygiene reasons. all our family is done too. our gp also thinks its a good idea. lady di - can i ask you a very non-pc q? is your dh a proddy boy? i think seems to be more prevalent for protestants to do. hmm, maybe we should ask token is he chopped also!
TokenMale Posts: 6845
[quote="airyfairy":2km5csuc] lady di - can i ask you a very non-pc q? is your dh a proddy boy? i think seems to be more prevalent for protestants to do. hmm, [b:2km5csuc]maybe we should ask token is he chopped also[/b:2km5csuc]![/quote:2km5csuc] Not currently, no!! My 2 cents: the "hygiene" reason is a non-issue for anyone who washes properly.
fantac Posts: 4109
[quote="TokenMale":2nppa4af][quote="airyfairy":2nppa4af] lady di - can i ask you a very non-pc q? is your dh a proddy boy? i think seems to be more prevalent for protestants to do. hmm, [b:2nppa4af]maybe we should ask token is he chopped also[/b:2nppa4af]![/quote:2nppa4af] Not currently, no!! My 2 cents: the "hygiene" reason is a non-issue for anyone who washes properly.[/quote:2nppa4af] :o0 :o0 :o0 but boys with the snip have much more fun with the girls!! toekn you're great - i wondered would you be having a read in here - was about to ask you the same q in OT!
TokenMale Posts: 6845
[quote="airyfairy":1rsk7mos][quote="TokenMale":1rsk7mos][quote="airyfairy":1rsk7mos] lady di - can i ask you a very non-pc q? is your dh a proddy boy? i think seems to be more prevalent for protestants to do. hmm, [b:1rsk7mos]maybe we should ask token is he chopped also[/b:1rsk7mos]![/quote:1rsk7mos] Not currently, no!! My 2 cents: the "hygiene" reason is a non-issue for anyone who washes properly.[/quote:1rsk7mos] :o0 :o0 :o0 but [b:1rsk7mos]boys with the snip have much more fun with the girls[/b:1rsk7mos]!! toekn you're great - i wondered would you be having a read in here - was about to ask you the same q in OT![/quote:1rsk7mos] Why do you say this? From the little I've read about it, circumcision ultimately leads to desensitisation. After all, the glans isn't meant to be exposed, and constant rubbing off clothes etc. is going to have an effect. Also, the foreskin itself is a sensitive part. Now, I've also seen it said that due to this desensitisation circumcised men can "last longer", but that's for the women, not for the men...