civil ceremony equivalent of prayers of the faithful?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

whoop whoop Posts: 1616
I like the fact that in Catholic ceremonies, the prayers of the faithful are a good way to get lots of people involved by giving them a role. Has anyone ever seen anything in a civil/humanist/secular ceremony that is a way to get lots of people involved? (without having to have 8 readings or something!)
6t Posts: 19
I havent heard of an equivilent but for us, to get lots of people involved, the 2 readings we've chosen have 4 verses in each and we're getting a different person to read each verse. Will probably be mayhem on thd day!
whoop whoop Posts: 1616
Yeah that's the kind of thing I mean. I had been skipping really long readings, but maybe I should revisit them... Another idea I heard was a kind of series of 'blessings' that people read out e.g. May your marriage be filled with fun and laughter, May you grow a sense of community, may you find strength in your marriage during tough times etc. each one being about 3 lines long. My only issue is that it might come across a bit self-indulgent - prayers of the faithful tend to be about others, whereas the blessings are all about the couple.