Civil Ceremony - Invite Registrar to Meal ?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

curlysu Posts: 811
Here's a question that I've been wondering about lately...I know for a traditional church ceremony, you usually invite the priest to the meal. Do ye think its the same for civil ceremonies, you should invite the registrar ? I wouldn't have thought so, but my Mam asked me the question lately, and the more I think about it, the less I'm sure ! Thanks wollies !
MichelleMyBelle Posts: 1270
I don't know - interesting question, I'd like to know the answer! I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask them after the service - I doubt very much they will say yes!
sherwood Posts: 737
As far as I know there isn't any point asking the Registrar as they have only a half hour to spend with you and will then probably have to go onto the next appointment because they're Civil Servants. I won't be inviting ours anyway.
StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to attend the dinner. Conducting the ceremony is part of their working day, which they then have to get back to. They are HSE employees working 9 - 5 (what a way to make a livin' - ok that's in my head for the day now! :o0 )
Bellisima Posts: 3583
I wouldnt invite them. Are they not HSE employees - they'd have to take time off work to attend - plus I think they would be over stepping the boundaries of professionalism if they did. Its different to having a priest. Priesthood is a vocation, HSE is a career.
curlysu Posts: 811
Thanks girls, that reassures me, I thought I was committing an awful faux-pas by not inviting her ! She is nice, and our wedding will be in the last "slot" of the day, so i might ask her if she wants to stay for a glass of bubbly after the ceremony, if she can
BusyDee Posts: 8527
No harm in asking her i say!