Claiming medical expenses on tax - from maternity leave

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrssunflower Posts: 3651
HI Girls I was wondering if you could help me with something. I was on maternity for hte frist half of 2009, during this time I accumalated nearly 800 in medical expenses (not preganacy releated). I kept all my receipts and at the beginning of this year I sent in to claim my tax back. Now I didn't even earn enough in the second half of the year to be taxed. I was told I can't claim them back because I didn't pay tax. Ok fair enought, but should I have been entitled to a medical card while on maternity? Is there anyway I can claim these expenses back? Its a lot of money to pay out with no wage so I'm assuming there is some way?
AudreyJ Posts: 1063
Hi Mrs Sunflower, not sure about medical card entitlement, but if you are married and your husband was employed and paying tax in 2009, he should be able to claim tax back on your medical expenses on your behalf. Unfortunately, you can now only claim back at the lower rate of 20% which is a bit [email protected], but I suppose it's better than nothing. Hope this helps.
mrssunflower Posts: 3651
I'm fuming! We rang the tax office last week to have our tax assessed as a married couple. So for 2008 we were ok, for 2009 when I was on maternity we OWE THEM 1500!!! Now DH only earns the average wage and I didn't earn enough to get taxed how would that be? Should I not have had tax credits? Oh Christ why didn't I do business instead of science in school!!
theoracle Posts: 7664
I would ring them again, or better yet, go see them. Mistakes do happen, ask them to talk you through the calculation and ask about your tax credits. Also, if you haven't claimed for your rent allowance/bins/mortgage interest, do so now.