Menu

Cliff Townhouse/Fallon & Byrne wedding September 2013

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

DubSept2013 Posts: 6
I just wanted to post some feedback on these two places and the suppliers I used as there wasn't a lot of information on them on WOL. We got married in University Church on Stephen's Green which is a beautiful church. Fr Boyle in the University Church was our celebrant and he is so nice, we didn't meet him until our rehearsal as he has only recently taken over as the priest in that church but we immediately felt comfortable with him and he performed a lovely service on the day. We decided to have just immediate family (16 adults and 4 kids) at a meal in Cliff Townhouse and then a party for around 140 in Fallon & Byrne afterwards from 8pm which worked out really well. Our meal was lovely and relaxed and informal and the evening reception was so much fun in Fallon & Byrne. We got ready in the Fitzwilliam Hotel as we had stayed there the night before and the night of the wedding, it was a perfect location for the church and restaurants and the staff there were great. On the morning of the wedding Emma Farrell (make up artist) and Lorraine Browne (hairdresser) came into the hotel to us. I would highly recommend both of these, they were both great to deal with in the lead up and my trial with both of them went really well. They both took pictures at the trial and then send them on afterwards which is great to look at in the lead up of the wedding and decide exactly what you want. They were both very calm as well on the morning of the wedding and helped keep the rest of us calm!! Our photographer was Paul from Moat Hill Photography who was excellent on the day and beforehand. I haven't seen the pictures yet but we had a pre-wedding shoot with him and those pictures were excellent. I would recommend having a pre-wedding shoot as it gives you a chance to get to know the photographer and you are more comfortable with having pictures taken on the day if you've had some practice!! Paul also made a lovely guest book with pictures taken from the pre-wedding shoot and everyone thought it was great and it's a lovely momento for us to have. On the day he was very non-intrusive and took the formal family pictures very quickly and without any fuss. So many people commented on how nice he was at the evening reception and he stayed until after 10 to get some pictures of the dancing. I would highly highly recommend Moat Hill for anyone looking for a photographer, particularly if you're having a Dublin City wedding as he's done a few. We got some pictures in Stephen's Green after the ceremony and then some more on the walk from Cliff Townhouse to Fallon & Byrne. It's important, especially if you're having a small wedding like we did, to click with your photographer and we really got on with Paul from our first meeting with him. For our ceremony music we used Teresa O'Donnell who is a harpist. The music was absolutely beautiful and so many people commented on it after the ceremony. She was also very nice to deal with by email in the lead up to the wedding and gave me lots of advice on what songs to use. The meal in the Cliff Townhouse was exceptional and the private dining room upstairs is fabulous. We were lucky with the weather and we were able to get some pictures out on the balcony and have the balcony doors open throughout the meal. The room itself is just so nice and bright and the service for our meal was amazing. The food and drink there is really out of this world. Fallon & Byrne was the perfect place for our evening reception as unfortunately Cliff Townhouse couldn't accommodate the numbers we wanted. It worked out well however for the immediate family to walk down to Fallon & Byrne from there. We invited people to be there from 8pm and had prosecco and/or heineken bottles as welcome drinks and some canapes. Then when the band took a break at approximately 11pm we had some evening food served, mini burgers and mini pizzas and wedges. The service in there for the evening was great, they have a lot of staff so people weren't waiting for drinks for long and they went around to all the guests offering food and prosecco top ups. The food was amazing, the best evening food i've ever had and lots of other people commented on it, as well as the room itself which again is very bright and airy and different from hotel function rooms. We had approximately 140 people at the evening reception and had mostly high tables with stools around them and two large round tables also. There was plenty of space for people to dance and sit down. My biggest worry was whether the place would be big enough as it's hard to imagine when you're looking at an empty room but it was perfect. For our band we had The Panoramics and they did such a good job of the evening. Because we were inviting most people to an evening reception only we asked that they do their acoustic set (normally played at drinks reception) for about an hour when people were coming in. We wanted to have some music but knew it would be too early for people to start dancing so it was perfect for greeting guests and mingling. Then at around 9.30 or so we had our first dance and the dancing started and did not stop once until around half 1!! They also provided the DJ for us and he was excellent. The dance floor was full all night which is the best you can hope for really. If anyone has any questions about the venues or the suppliers I used please feel free to ask. It was an amazing day and i'd do it all again if I could :)
StonedLove Posts: 11
That sounds lovely! I'm having a similar wedding shortly (immediate family to ceremony and meal, and then others for drinks/canapes in the evening) so I love to hear about these types of weddings. I hope you've a very happy married life.
clairew2 Posts: 1
Hi! We've booked Fallon & Byrne for our wedding (yay!) and we're having some difficulty coming up with a band that would suit - we'll have about 120 so want a bit of dancing however I'm worried that because it's one room it will be too loud for some of the older generations! We saw the Panoramic's at another wedding and loved them so they were our first choice, was delighted to read that you had them in Fallon & Byrne. Did you find they worked well in the room? Could you hold a conversation? Thanks! Claire