cloth nappies

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Aqua Posts: 198
Hi I was wondering if any of you are thinking of using cloth nappies? Is anyone already using them? Do you know where I could buy them? Thoughts??
Barbalou Posts: 1617
Looking into it at the moment, thankfully a pal is doing the same and has made up her mind to go for it. She's due in October, I'm not due till January, unless it's a complete disaster for her I'm going for it too. Looking and the Bambino Mio nappies they do a good kit that goes for new born to potty training, think it costs about 285 euro. Then I'll add what if I need more. I really don't want to go down the disposable route and I'm not squimish about flushing poo into the loo so can't see any reason not to try it. (I'd like to point out this is a personal choice and not an attack in any shape or form on Mums who use disposables.)
jamie1 Posts: 94
We looked at this (my husband is a waste management consultant and I'm in the environment field too, so we thought we'd better put our money where our mouths were :o0 ) but I was kind of dreading having to use cloth nappies as they seem like such a faff in comparison to disposables. That's why I was delighted to find this report which gets us off the hook! http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/co ... 072099.pdf Basically, the study concludes that there's no significant difference between the environmental impacts of reusable and disposable nappies, in terms of whole life-cycle analysis. I'm sure there are other good reasons to use reusables, but for me the thought of dealing with cloth nappies, without a tumble dryer, for my Winter baby was not a happy one *)
Aqua Posts: 198
[quote="jamie1":20r0x93d]We looked at this (my husband is a waste management consultant and I'm in the environment field too, so we thought we'd better put our money where our mouths were :o0 ) but I was kind of dreading having to use cloth nappies as they seem like such a faff in comparison to disposables. That's why I was delighted to find this report which gets us off the hook! http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/co ... 072099.pdf Basically, the study concludes that there's no significant difference between the environmental impacts of reusable and disposable nappies, in terms of whole life-cycle analysis. I'm sure there are other good reasons to use reusables, but for me the thought of dealing with cloth nappies, without a tumble dryer, for my Winter baby was not a happy one *)[/quote:20r0x93d] God that is an eye opener!! I can't believe it!! I always presumed that the cloth nappies would be better. I might chicken out altogether now that I know that *)
StayShiny Posts: 1078
thanks for that link ;) excellent did some more reading and check out http://www.wen.org.uk/nappies/cost_comparison_ie.htm for price comparisons in Ireland ... and of course the report in jamie1's link does conclude with the onus on environemnt minimising lies with the user for cloth nappies and with the manufacturer for disposable... I think cloth might actually be the better option both cost effectively and environmentally (if ya can manage not to wash them that often ;)
Can someone give me a quick overview I don't have time to read a 209 page doc at the moment
jamie1 Posts: 94
The study basically concludes that of the three nappy "systems" studied i.e. disposables/home laundered reuseables/commercially laundered reusables, there is no significant difference in the environmental impacts when the whole life cycle of the system is analysed e.g. energy in production, energy and water for laundering, impacts of detergents, etc. Stayshiny makes a good point though about the actual impacts of reusables being somewhat controllable by the user, e.g. could wash at lowest safe temperature in a maximum efficiency washing machine with minimum amount of most environmentally friendly detergent, line dry where possible.
I got through some of it, but thanks for that. What I got through didn't change my view that cotton/reusable are better for the environment. I just have a huge issue with the whole 200-500 year thing it takes to break down a disposable. Like I said, I really want to go with the reusable/cotton but if it turns out it's not practical I'll change to the disposable
moojunior Posts: 31
Superquinn are selling Bambino Mio nappy systems for Newbornds, I bought them last weekend. Im hoping they will get in some more of the "accessories" for the mio system. MooJunior
moo J what's the cost