Cold Sore - is it dangerous??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lovethesite Posts: 1054
Girls, Just have a stupid cold sore appearing, I never get them :-( Is this dangerous?? What should I do?? Thanks, just freaking out a bit xx
MrsMommy Posts: 1112
No it's not dangerous. I suffer really badly from them. My consultant told me I was fine to use Zovirax. Please don't take this the wrong way, but you sound so worried in every post. I really think you need to relax and stop stressing out about everything. It will be a long 28 weeks otherwise.
lovethesite Posts: 1054
Ahh thanks for letting me know. Gosh, I didn't realise I was coming accross that stressed out!!! It's just that I read this article and had a bit of a mini breakdown!! I'm actually not that bad, I've very few friends that had babies so I think all of my stress comes across here :-)
MrsMommy Posts: 1112
And stay away from Doctor Google.... :o0 Seriously though, you'll drive yourself crazy analyzing every twinge, or lack of twinge so best to just let nature do it's thing, and listen to you Midwife/Consultant. For the first few months I had horrific coldsores on my face (not just my lips) and I was a bit of a martyr about it, not using Zovirax etc. A quick visit to my consultant and he told me to stop being a martyr and use Zovirax :o0
ghostchild2 Posts: 6237
The compeed blister patches are also fantastic to use and actually do help hide them :wv
mamajen Posts: 2263
[quote="ghostchild2":blr6hxhe]The compeed blister patches are also fantastic to use and actually do help hide them :wv[/quote:blr6hxhe] +1 I used these on a coldsore I had starting early in pregnancy and it never really burst which was great!
seabride11 Posts: 231
hi lovethesite I had one last week I put ice pack on it straight away ,as I read the cold might stunt the outburst .I used the patches instead of Zovirax and honestly after three days whole thing had clearer up It's natural to worry about all the little things I'm the same - mite help to know your not only one worrying are you first time mum to be ? I am Hope cold sore clears up hate hate hate them pregnant or not I just freak when they pop up
sweetbubbles Posts: 377
[quote="lovethesite":2lmkerex]Ahh thanks for letting me know. Gosh, I didn't realise I was coming accross that stressed out!!! It's just that I read this article and had a bit of a mini breakdown!! I'm actually not that bad, I've very few friends that had babies so I think all of my stress comes across here :-)[/quote:2lmkerex] Hi lovethesite, I just knew opening your link that this was an american article you came across. They are obsessed with Herpes simplex virus over there, the article is complete crap btw, there is no doctor in this country going to deliver a baby via c section if you have a cold sore on your face. The article that you read is really referring to genital herpes, if you suffered with this and were having what is known as an outbreak on your genitals then they would definitely deliver via c section. The reason for this is because HSV (herpes simplex virus) can do damage to babies eyes amongst other things if they are exposed to an open sore when passing through the birth canal. So since its on your face you should not worry about it AT ALL!!!! There is mass hysteria in the USA with regard to HSV whether its on your face or on your genitals. As for being worried about all the twinges and symptoms, I think thats pretty normal, if its your first baby and you dont have a lot of friends who have gone through it too. If you are going to google things can I advise you to click on the pages from Ireland button on google before you search, (its on the left hand side of google) different countries have different ways of treating things and I find that american websites can cause a certain amount panic in the way they describe things. You're not alone in feeling anxious but I don't think google will help your anxiety levels. For those who do suffer with cold sores, there is a vitamin you can buy in the chemist called Lysine, (it is an essential amino acid its in a lot of foods naturally, but they say it helps with preventing cold sore attacks.[b:2lmkerex]HOWEVER I am unaware if you can take it while pregnant, so please ask your pharmacist or consultant if you wish to try it.[/b:2lmkerex]