Colief Help

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Milly83 Posts: 3620
Hi All DS has colic. He gets it at the same time everyday. Anyway, I was using Infacol but it wasn't working so doc recommended Colief. It's really confusing so can you tell me if this is ok? I use SMA Gold. I have always made up the bottles for the whole day. I am boiling the water, waiting 30 minutes then adding the formula and 2 Colief drops. Then I put them in the fridge and leave them for 4 hours before giving him the first one. The rest will wait throughout the day in the fridge for each of his feeds. Is this correct? I warm the bottle in a bowl of hot water before giving it to him. My next question is, if I am heading out, is it ok to take these bottles out of the fridge and leave it in a bag at room temp and then warm to give to him after a couple of hours? Next question, I was using infacol, should I continue this? Yet another, so sorry about this but doc said that DS is a little constipated at times and to dilute 1 or 2 of his bottles. He said to put 6 oz water to 5oz of formula. Do you think this is ok? DS is 1 month old. Thanks everyone, I just want some rest at night!!!
somethingdifferent Posts: 76
I know it is so frustrating when you dont know what to do and the doctor is no help. I have a four month old and he had colic but is much better now. I had used infacol, gripe water and colief. I found infacol was good but i had to give him loads and sometimes he still got bad wind. Gripe water is great but you can only get it up the north, i rinsed out an old infacol bottle and put ti into this and used the dropper to give it to my ds, used to give it to him 3-4 times a day or when ever her was bad. Tried colief but found this was really crap, had to give him infacol with it but once ran out of infacol so was just relying on colief and he got bunged up with really bad wind, was really confusing about haw to use it too, Well best thing i discovered was a chemists own colic mix, i got the name through a frein that swore by it and tried it, it is brilliant and he has no trouble getting his wind up with this, the chemist is in clonmel but they post, the post it to me weekly and it costs around €20.0 per bottle and lasts about a week. you just add it straight inot the bottle when it is made, if your out what i do is bring the bottle af water with a capful of the colic mix already in the water and just add the baby powder when needed. pharmacy is mahons and phone number is 052 21205, it really is worth trying as i found it to be a life saver and would of been lost without it about the constipation I would be a bit uneasy with diluting food as it does say on packet to add correct scoops but i am not a doc so cant really advise. What i did when ever my ds was having trouble was give him 2-3 oz of cool boiled water inbetween botles, i started thin when he was about 1 month old and did it untill he was about 2 1/2 months and then he was pooing every second day so cut back on the water, Hope this has helped
Blackbird Posts: 5135
[quote:1r8oypx7]I use SMA Gold. I have always made up the bottles for the whole day. I am boiling the water, waiting 30 minutes then adding the formula and 2 Colief drops. Then I put them in the fridge and leave them for 4 hours before giving him the first one. The rest will wait throughout the day in the fridge for each of his feeds. Is this correct? I warm the bottle in a bowl of hot water before giving it to him. [/quote:1r8oypx7] The colief instructions are really confusing. It says on the packet that you can add 4 drops 30 mins before you give the bottle or 2 drops 4 hours beforehand. My GP and a pharmacist both told me that it needs at least 4 hours to work. DH rang the helpline on the bottle one day and she told him it can be put in the bottle up to 12 hours beforehand. I used to make bottles up at night, add the drops into the first two bottles of the day and then the next morning I would add the drops to the rest of the bottles. [quote:1r8oypx7]My next question is, if I am heading out, is it ok to take these bottles out of the fridge and leave it in a bag at room temp and then warm to give to him after a couple of hours? [/quote:1r8oypx7] I use an ice block if I'm heading out. I put two bottles into an Avent thermal bag with an ice block to keep them cold and then heat them up when needed. You can get different versions of these bags. I got a Termos branded one in Tesco recently in the aisle with all the kitchen stuff. [quote:1r8oypx7]Next question, I was using infacol, should I continue this? [/quote:1r8oypx7] I would take a break from the infacol if you feel it's not making much difference and try the colief for a few days but if it's working then keep it up. [quote:1r8oypx7]Yet another, so sorry about this but doc said that DS is a little constipated at times and to dilute 1 or 2 of his bottles. He said to put 6 oz water to 5oz of formula. Do you think this is ok? [/quote:1r8oypx7] Yes, this is ok. It's not recommended to add more formula than water but the other way around is ok. Other constipation remedies would be - cool boiled water mixed with a teaspoon or two of brown sugar or you can also add a teaspoon of prune juice straight into the bottle of formula. I found both of these worked quite well. I hope it eases soon.
mammak Posts: 489
Hey Pet, its an awful sleep deprived guilt ridden time the first wee while of babs. Making feeds Basicallly boil your water, only once , allow to cool, and put into fridge. Add formula only when using it. When going out or for convenience advent have a handy dispenser for formula that you can fill in the morning and has little seperate sections. Great buy. Colic Infacol/colief can sometimes block their little systems up too, so if thats happening try alternatives. Have a fantastic no. for you. They are a chemist in Clonmel and they make up their own colic mixture. The number is 05221205, only suitanble for bottle fed babies. No joke, its a miracle cure. Ring them, they'll send it to you the same day if you ring before 12. For us, the colic mixture had dramatic results but as it happened our little fella needed a change of formula too and we now use goats milk formula. The molecules are easier to digest. But try cloic mixture first. If it really is colic, it will work. :xox Constiaption A couple of oz of cooled boiled water and a lkittle brown sugar in it. Know a lot of mammies who swear by this. However it didn't work for us. If i felt that ds was really suffering i used to give him half a glycerin suppository - there totally natural and really helped. By dr recommened them for the bad times. Available in most chemists.I know some peolpe also use babylax but its generally for older babies and does have some medical stuff in it as far as i know. It really does take a kick start to get theses babies in good working order. But it will happen pet. The next few weeks will get easier and you will sleep. :lvs And it sounds like your doing a fantastic job. I wish i was more proactive when my lkittle ds was going through same at the start. Well done pet. O-O
tinyfairy Posts: 1536
Don't have time to read your full post but once I saw Colief I had to reply!!! We used this for about 6 weeks of DD life. Thankfully a formula called Aptimel Easy Digest got recommended to us. The lactose is already broken down, that's what colief is doing to the SMA fomula. I would highly recommend this formula, we call it the miracle formula!! Our LO cried non-stop for 7 weeks, the change in formula gave us a new baby!!!
Milly83 Posts: 3620
Thank you all so much for the advice. He actually didn't cry at all last night!!! I gave him his first bottle with colief at 9:30pm and there was no crying afterwards! I couldn't believe it. He settled to sleep at 10:30pm and didn't wake again until his next bottle. I am not counting my chickens before they hatch, we will see how things go tonight. I made up all the bottles in advance with 2 drops of colief in it. But I have been making up bottles 24 hours before hand. I should only be doing them for 12 hours.... I will get that coo bag for his bottles. Thanks so much for the advice and if this doesn't work, I will contact that chemist. We gave him cool boiled water today with sugar....