colm hayes show today and household charge

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

black pearl Posts: 3513
girls just wondering if anyone heard??? he is saying that the emaili that was doing the rounds is fake and you do have to pay, for all those of you who werent intending on paying does this change your mind? Am in two minds now myself, even though i was adamant i wasnt paying. I know there are people on here who have paid and think its an outrage that others wouldnt, thats fine, but am wondering about those who werent going to pay if you heard the show did it change your mind?
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I didn't hear the show but I presume this was a reference to the 'consent to pay' email that's in circulation? Like any tax or charge levied by the State, it has to be paid if you fall inside the categories that are required to pay it. I think this will be a re-run of the bin charges protest, where people were encouraged not to pay with all sorts of spurious 'legal advice' being cited by county councillors etc who promptly left people having to pay fines when it became clear there was no basis behind the campaign not to pay. We have paid the charge in full ourselves.
black pearl Posts: 3513
thanks acs, had no idea about the bi charge issue, but that is my one point im making at home, its ok for all these politicans to say dont pay, when push comes to shove they wont be given huge fines we will. Mmmm will have another word with dh this eve :wv
Mrs W Posts: 2923
I didnt hear the show but I know there was an email doing the rounds on headed paper from a dublin solicitors and they are saying its a fake. Is the information about it being a statute incorrect or just the fact that its on this firms headed paper and they didnt do it?
fizzgig Posts: 501
We are 100% not paying this charge. We havent even got any information through the door about it. Girls, you might aswell post the cheque to Merkel and be done with it. I cant understand people willingness to pay, or the fear people are under about it. Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the household charge this is the one and only time you will be able stand up and say no more. I cant afford it, we just paid 180.00 for the tv, in order to NOT watch Pat Kenny. We live down a dirt track road which the council have refused to resurface, even tho they ruined it last year putting down a water pipe. The tell me its my problem. I pay motor tax to drive on one of the worst roads in the country, so what benefit is it for me to pay, when i see no return..
Tir na nog Posts: 740
[quote="fizzgig":3rn7sew9]We are 100% not paying this charge. We havent even got any information through the door about it. Girls, you might aswell post the cheque to Merkel and be done with it. I cant understand people willingness to pay, or the fear people are under about it. Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the household charge this is the one and only time you will be able stand up and say no more. I cant afford it, we just paid 180.00 for the tv, in order to NOT watch Pat Kenny. We live down a dirt track road which the council have refused to resurface, even tho they ruined it last year putting down a water pipe. The tell me its my problem. I pay motor tax to drive on one of the worst roads in the country, so what benefit is it for me to pay, when i see no return..[/quote:3rn7sew9] Agree with all you said. I'm an non payer as well and will happily go to court over this, i can afford it but i won't be paying, its one step to far and the fact it's going to be increased this year and each year for about 3 years should be a good enough reason for people to resist it. Anyway if people want to pay or are scared fair enough bit i neither want to pay this tax and i'm not scared of the consequences or fines. This is one tax too far and with water charges and septic tank charges on the way i'm not going to give in on this one. They can stop paying the unsecured bond holders with the money they are robbing of the Irish people, who done nothing to screw up this economy.
micls Posts: 1156
[quote="Mrs W ":49emo3iu] Is the information about it being a statute incorrect or just the fact that its on this firms headed paper and they didnt do it?[/quote:49emo3iu] The information is nonsense. A case of someone acting like a barstool solicitor or a real lawyer taking the piss and enjoying how many people are believing it.
fizzgig Posts: 501
I would go so far as to say that the people who have paid are doing there neighbours and anyone that cant afford the charge a diservice. I'll pay once they seperate private banking debt and public debt, and not a day before it.
micls Posts: 1156
[quote="fizzgig":2w6irgo6]I would go so far as to say that the people who have paid are doing there neighbours and anyone that cant afford the charge a diservice. [/quote:2w6irgo6] It's not anyones job to fight for the beliefs of others. If people want to pay, for whatever reason, be it wanted to stay law abiding and tax compliant, or because they don't disagree with the tax, it's no ones business but their own. It's very unfair to put your beliefs and expectations on others.
Tir na nog Posts: 740
[quote="fizzgig":1qykvxfz]I would go so far as to say that the people who have paid are doing there neighbours and anyone that cant afford the charge a diservice. I'll pay once they seperate private banking debt and public debt, and not a day before it.[/quote:1qykvxfz] Well said i don't agree with the bin charges example as that was a dublin only issue, this tax is a national issue. It was inevitable for bin charges to come in but this tax can be fought especially since only 8% have registered in 2 months. They expected to raise 165million by march no chance of that happening and it'll cost them too much to take the other 92% of people to court. Well maybe 85% that's being generous with an uneducated guess that another 7% will register before march 31st. Fingers crossed enough people will stand side by side on this one.