Menu

Colonoscopy

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

AnyHopeLeft Posts: 310
delete
jarashow Posts: 3083
Sniggywig you really need to get it done with the family history, esp if they died young from it. My Nan died from bowel cancer and my Dad aslo had it but is doing great now thank god, even though it went to his liver and he had to have that operated on and another round of chemo again They said that I didn't need to get a colonoscopy as Nan and Dad both got it older in life, but I think I will get one done in a year or so just to make sure. They do sedate you so don't be worrying too much, it's something that you can't avoid by the sounds of it. Good luck !
Nolongerwollie Posts: 2181
I had is done & its fine as you're sedated. The day before you have to drink kleen prep - its horrible but do-able! I lost 3 lbs from doing this - bonus!! Dont worry about it at all & if you've any other questions, feel free to pm me.
april09babs Posts: 926
Hi I worked on an endoscopy day ward for sometime so know some bit about them. however a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. So on a personal note I've had three myself. Each one was a totally different experience ranging from good to bad. I was sedated for all three. 2 of which I had no recollection whatsoever. The other one I remained fully awake throughout despite being administered the max amount of sedation. They aren't painful but may be somewhat uncomfortable if you are awake. For me the prep the day before was undoubtedly the worst asepct of the whole experience each time, and I'm not talking about what it does to you more having to swallow it, it really is horrid. Side effects are usually mild if present but generally aren't. Slight cramping may occur from air that is introduced into the bowel but normally passes in a short time. I'm confused though, are you going for one yourself because you want to due to a family history or have you been referred for one due to gastric problems?
Ladygodiva - I've pm'd you.
Joleigh Posts: 4242
My friend has to get it done. Her brother died from it and her Mam is really bad at the mo. Others in her family have had it done. They said you need 3 days off work for it. They give you stuff to drink that you add you about 4 litres of water and it totally clears you out. Its worth it in the end if it prevents you from getting a killer disease. The embarrasment will be over in minutes, so its well worth it. Good luck!
Service Finder
asd
Nolongerwollie Posts: 2181
[quote="sniggywig":3kc1s5wu]Ladygodiva - I've pm'd you.[/quote:3kc1s5wu] PMed you back
april09babs Posts: 926
Sorry i didn't see that part I need my eyes checked. I've a close family history too but the doctor didn't take it into account. the prep the day/night/morning before in my opinion is the worst past purely because of the taste. Its not an enema but is in liquid form and has a laxative effect obviously! The times that it has to be taken depends on whether your scope is on in the morning or the afternoon. I only know from my own experiences what times I had to take it at and can't remember the others but I can find out if you want. The day before-fasting from food all day only allowed clear liquids Prep at 6pm (always worked within 1-2 hours for me) Fasting overnight obviously Day of the scope Prep again at 6am and fasting all morning Scope early afternoon. then home to eat like a horse!! Hence why someone else said they had lost weight. IMO that is the worst, running to the bathroom and starving with the hunger. Depending on the time of your appointment the preperation for the procedure could be totally different. I hope that doesn't frighten you as I didn't mean to was just trying to reassure you that the procedure itself if fine. Best of luck with it. You're right to get it done and look for one regularly as it really does put your mind to rest knowing everything is ok.
FinnBride Posts: 12
HI, I have had it done on a number of occasions, due to having Colitis. Last time was in the Mater hospital and it was perfectly fine, maybe a little uncomfortable. Every time I had to get it done, the prep took two or three days, meaning little or no food for three days and emptying the colon on the last day. There are few different ways to do the prep, but most common is drinking this salt-water mix, which is horrible and taking a very strong laxatives. They will clear out everything in your bowel for clear view..... Best of luck, pm me if you have any questions!