Colposcopy while pregnant - really freaked out!!!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

annabella Posts: 190
i've received a letter from the Coombe with an appointment for a colposcopy next week, i'll be 16 weeks pregnant and about freaked out about this. i rang and they said the procedure won't affect the baby but whats the point in doing it when they won't be able to do treatment until after babs is born!! my friend had to have one done when she was pregnant and said she felt like she was a guinea pig to see how cells change when your pg, she argued the case that they can't do treatment until after baby born and they told her that if treatment needs to be done that so be it even at the risk of the baby!!!!!!! i am really freaked out now and don't know what to d... :o( o.
Jeidi Posts: 3128
Your post sounds like me two weeks ago. I had two smears come back with abnormal smears and was refered for a colposcopy. As I'm going private my consultant was gonna do the colposcopy. I was 11 weeks at the time, he explained everything to me, it felt like a smear, maybe just a bit more uncomfortable, and lasted about 10 - 15 minutes. He explained what he found and said he wouldn't be doing any treatment when pregnant but I have to have another colposcopy at 20 weeks, just to keep an eye on things. I assume its just to make sure nothing mental is happening! Then if he decides I need treatment, it will happen 12 weeks after my baby is born. So dont worry, and just make sure you ask all the questions you need to.
Poppit Posts: 2042
Oh Annabella, I know how worrying this is. I have had lost of colposcopies, biopsies and treatment done over the years, as i had recurring CIN3 cells. What grade CIN are you? The thing about being pregnant is that the cells can accellerate very quickly due to hormones, so they have to keep an eye on things very closely if you have CIN cells. I had smear done when i was at your stage to check if there were any cells. Luckily nothing too worrying. Will have to have another one after babs born. As Jeidi said its not painful, more uncomfortable. Let us know how you get on next week. They will explain everything to you.
tras Posts: 1460
Annabella, I was just like you, was called back for a coloposcopy when I was over 20 weeks pregnant (can't even remember now....that tells you how you forget!!) and I was sooo worried. But it really didn't hurt, and to be honest it was great to be told that all is okay. I had one done when I was only a few weeks pregnant (and didn't know it!) and it didn't affect anythin. When I found out I was preg I was all freaked out in case the colposcopy would have affected it in some way but doc told me that it's a completely different part of the cervix so not to worry. Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on.
delgirl Posts: 1706
I know how you feel I was called in for a coloscopy at 4 and a half months after they diagnosed me with a cervical polyp. I stressed and stressed about it. To be honest the coloscopy itself was fine. They showed me everything on camera and they had a look at the polyp and he said it looked fine. I asked that they not remove it until after babs was born and they were grand about it. It is the same as having a smear or an internal done and it will not affect the baby at all. I would not have thought it would be to get info on women who are pregnant. I went back in to have the polpy removed last week and labour had done the job for me so I am glad that I waited now. Please try not to worry.
hi girls thank you so so much for the replies, have reassured me that other people have done this too. i just totally panicked yesterday - hormones are raging at the moment and i'm very emotional about the slightest thing or nothing at all :o0 i'm CIN2 grade - i spoke to my own GP this morn and she was very reassuring too and helpful- not like the nurse in the coombe who didnlt seem to care that i was concerned. but anyway feel much better now thanks a mill :lvs
Sphynx Posts: 6795
Deleted because I misread the OP - thought you were going for a colonoscopy, which is what I had. Sorry about that - can't spell! Best of luck with your procedure.
doesmybumlookbiginthis? Posts: 480
i had cin3 when i was pregnant...i had colposcopy at 8 weeks pregnant although i didnt know i was at time and i was called back again for treatment at 21 weeks where i had laser treatment...i went back again at 36 weeks and then again after babs was born when i got the all clear-i know how scary it is but its worth getting it done as op said pregnancy speeds cell changes up so its worth getting it watched by consultant with smears/coposcopy during pregnancy so anything significant can be sorted out...mine has since recuurred but being treated again x
hi girls, just thought i'd let you know, colposcopy went ok, very umcomfortable whe pregnant tho. but don't hvae to go back till next April after babs is born so i'm relieved now. thanks for the support :xox
Jeidi Posts: 3128
Ah thank God it all worked out for you in the end...