Combined care Q about gp

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Littlepud Posts: 945
i'm doing the combined care scheme. i went to my gp to confirm pregnancy at 6 weeks. had a check up at 11 weeks with gp. then had dating scan/booking appt at 13 weeks with hospital. i have my big scan at 21weeks and then wont be seeing the midwives clinic until 27 weeks. nothing was ever mentioned to me about a gp check up in between 13 weeks and 27 weeks. i was told if i feel there is something wrong i can book in at any time but i just think 14 weeks is an awful long gap. is this normal? sorry if i havent explained this well
marles Posts: 1397
I see my Dr. quite regularly.You would be best going to see the Dr. between 13 and 27 wks. They need to check Bp,weight,urine etc. There's nothing to stop you going to the Dr. I've been in quite regularly.I've never had any issue going to see the Dr.
happymonkey Posts: 555
My gp explained that I've to be seen by him every month for first 6 months - they check blood pressure, urine, weight etc... (unless I'm attending clinic that month, then I can skip him until following month). From 6-8 months go every fortnight, I think, and for final 6 weeks or so I've to go every week. Now I might not be absolutely spot on there, but that's the gist. Regular visits are actually encouraged so I'm surprised you were told to just drop back if something doesn't feel right. I'd just turn up every 4 weeks if I were you, they have to be regularly putting down your medical info on the chart.
thank you for both your answers they were really helpful. i was thinking i should be visiting more often. when i went to the check up at 11 weeks it was a locum doc. i asked her when should i come back next and she just said the hospital will tell me. but when i asked at the hospital they just gave me the dates for the scan and midwife clinic. i'll call tomorrow and make an appointment so. thanks again girls you've been brilliant as always :thnk
lush11 Posts: 2877
Yeah, this is something i wasnt sure of either but got a letter when i was about 16 weeks from the GP to say that I was due an antenatal checkup. He checked my weight, BP, urine and all that.
ttc_bfp_opk_wtf Posts: 682
I was posted a schedule of visits from the HSE. wk 24 GP wk 28 GP (Hospital if its first pregnancy) wk 30 GP Wk 32 Hospital Wk 34 GP Wk 36 Hospital Wk 37 GP Wk 38 Hospital Wk 39 GP Wk 40 Hospital first GP visit should be before Wk 12 and first hospital appointment should ideally take place by week 20 Some general information about the scheme on the hse website. http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_S ... dcare.html
CHOCOLATECHIP Posts: 353
Hi Littlepud :wv My gp said to not let a month go by without being seen either by him or the hospital so I would definitely book a visit with your gp in that big gap you have!
Rubyrose Posts: 5522
I had posted this in the June thread, its what my GP gave me on a leaflet Maternity & Infant Care Scheme The following is a schedule of visits which is recommended throughout your pregnancy with your GP and your chosen hospital. Before 12 weeks - Visit with your general practitioner Before 20 weeks - Visit to your chosen maternity unit/hospital 24 weeks - Visit with your general practitioner 28 weeks - Visit with your general practitioner (except in the case of 1st pregnancy) - Visit to your chosen maternity unit/hospital (in case of first pregnancy) 30 weeks - Visit with your general practitioner 32 weeks - Visit to your chosen maternity unit/hospital 34 weeks - Visit with your general practitioner 36 weeks - Visit to your chosen maternity unit/hospital 37 weeks - Visit with your general practitioner 38 weeks - Visit to your chosen maternity unit/hospital 39 weeks - Visit with your general practitioner 40 weeks - Visit to your chosen maternity unit/hospital Birth of Baby 2 weeks after birth (for baby only) - Visit with your general practitioner 6 weeks after birth (for mother & baby) - Visit with your general practitioner
Mrsdm Posts: 1136
i went to my doc when I found out I was pregnant and she got me to fill in HSE forms and said my visits would be free from now on - she didnt say this was combined care. My hospital said at 12 weeks apt that I should go combined care. Do I need to do something else or is the original form I signed in the doc's enough?
my gp suggested from the first visit that i do combined care and had me sign the forms there and then. i made my appointment girls thank you for all your help, you're all stars :thnk