Come Dine With .. Me! Help!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

SilverGirl Posts: 1517
Howdy! Ok .. so for some reason my family though it would be a great idea to have a Come Dine With Me expereince. I love cooking but recipe ideas are not my strong point. I want to impress as my family dont think I'm the best in the kitchen .. and they may be right! So if anyone has some recipe ideas for starters, mains and desert that will knock the socks off them I would be ever so greatfull. Thanks :wv
scoutf Posts: 667
theres a book called 'how to cook' very simple but tasty recipes. Might be worth a look
Momster Posts: 442
OOOO i really want to do this. i love that show and i love cooking!!! I would think about what kind of foods that your family like - there is no point in cooking up a cordon blu meal of your family are plain eaters as ya wont win points for that. also thinking about particular kinds of foods that people dislike eg i hate mushrooms. i literally could not eat one... also remember any allergies that people have. I had a dinner party last weekend and this is what i made and it went down a treat: Starter: Crab cakes on a bed of rocket dressed with light balsamic dressing. the beauty of these is that you can make them in advance and they cook quickly when people arrive :) made a small pot of homemade tartar sauce Mains: Roast Loin of Pork with pear stuffing, sauteed potatoes with roast onions and garlic, carrots and parsnip puree, green beans with pancetta and some very finely diced onion with gravy made from the stock of the pork Dessert: Orange Cheese Cake. i made this with low fat yog and low fat philly and beat together them for ages so the filling was really light. fairly traditional fare but my friends that came over were plain eaters and they really enjoyed the dinner ~(well so they said!!) a nice start to the dinner is to make a little cocktail for when people arrive. i make some peach pulp, put it into a champagne glass and fill up with prosecco with a pair of orange peel. i love it and guests dont complain either!!!! :) What sort of things were you thinking of making?
PrettyWoman Posts: 1233
Oh wow mrsmorgie2b .. sounds delish! I dont really have any idea of what to cook at all to open to all suggestions. As far as food to cook, everyone has said they will try anything for the experience so we are all going to get creative .. well I will try :o0 Pretty Woman .. I have tasted that dessert before but I am not a fan .. I dont like Baileys! But everyone else liked it so it might be a contender Keep the suggestions coming ladies/gentlemen!
PrettyWoman Posts: 1233
Even though I just had dinner I'm starving reading all this! I love pastry too so this might work to include as a starter. Has anyone got any nice coctail recipes also? I will have to credit the Wollies on my night of cooking :)
Mrs Summer Posts: 5040
I love cooking too, here is something ive made in the past that are not overly hard and are always a show stopper, if ya decide on any and want help you know where I am. Starter: Chicken & Mushroom vol e vont main: meatloaf with creamy mash potato & homemade gravy Dessert: strawberry pavlova roulade
lizziebee Posts: 137
i did this recently aswell with my friends and what great fun we had, what if you decide on cuisine first, do you dineers like italian, chinese, indian , mexican , french etc. from there decide on the dish, i did italian, selection of bruchetta to start, lasangee (old realiable) for main and vanilla panna cotta for desert. panna cotta so easy to make and gorgeous. best of luck
MinnietheMinx Posts: 2396
How about a beef bourguignon? It's in the oven for 2 hours before serving so you don't have to worry about fiddly last minute things. I have a really nice but simple recipe for this if your interested. You could do a theme night as someone else said- if you do Mexican you can do mojitos & margaritas to drink! Dessert wise if it's coming up soon an apple and mixed berry crumble is nice in the cold weather. A chocolate fondant is always good with vanilla ice cream. I also have a really easy no bake white chocolate cheeesecake recipe if your interested.