Coming off injection

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ghostchild2 Posts: 6237
My DH and I have decided to try and start a family. I have been on the injection Depo Proven for over 5 years and am due to get again in August but won't be getting it now. I'm just wondering if anyone had used this contraception and if so how long after they stopped taking it did it take for them to get their cycle back? Thanks
OAT Posts: 2207
I was on the injection for maybe 4 yrs and I got my period exactly 1 yr to the day that I got my last injection. But my sister was under a year maybe only 6 mths since she got her last so it must differ for everyone
mrssunflower Posts: 3651
Hi Ghostchild2 I was due to get my last injection in sept last year and decided to change to the pill after about 5-6 years on the injection. I came off the pill after 1 month because I was feeling weird and we decided to TTC. It took me 6-7 months to get my bfp after it but as the other girls have said everyone is different. One of the girls over on the TTC thread got her BFP after only 1 month. I would suggest charting on www.fertilityfriend.com as the injection stops you from ovulating and by charting you will be able to determin if this has come back to normal for you. The girls on the TTC thread are a great help too Good luck :wv
Hey guys thanks for all your replies
andypandy28 Posts: 553
I was on the depo injection for 4 years and loved it. it took my over a year for my periods to come back but I wasnt too worried as we were not trying anyway, I just came off it as I knew I would be in the future. I got pregnant, after only 1 month trying, but about 2 years after coming off it. I went back on it when Ds 12 weeks and came off it it Feburary and still have no period, but am not too worried as I dont want to start trying for a few months anyway. i think its normal to take 1 year at least for your cycle to return depending on how long you have been on it, as lots of my friends are on it too and they have found the same.
Knew it could take a couple of months but so wasn't expecting to hear that it takes up to a year. Am the only one I know on it. Was hoping to start trying as soon as possible so am disappointed to hear how long it takes :o( :o( :o(
mrssunflower Posts: 3651
Don't get disheartened (sp) because as we've all said that everyone is different. Even without the injection it would take you up to 12 months to conceive naturally My periods came back after 1 month - I did get a bleed every 15 or so days for a 2 months but it all sorted itself out and I got my BFP As long as you are ovulating then the injection is gone from your system. Good luck
Thanks Mrs Sunflower, I know it can take awhile naturally but at least you have some hope every month. Never thought I'd be so broody but DH and I are really in the right place now and just can't wait :o)ll
rushinbride Posts: 1097
hey, I was on it for 9mths - took over 2yrs to get a period after it...
bride22 Posts: 359
was on it for 5 yrs. Got no periods for 18mths after coming off it so my Gp put me on a mini-pill to increase my hormone levels as i had practically no oestrogen(female hormone) in my body which causes ovulation and that scared the bejesus out of me. My periods returned within 2 mths but i am aware that this is just an effect of the pill and not a normal/natural period. I came off everything last oct and got pregnant in Nov. I havnt had a natural period in 8 yrs really. I regret going on the injection so young but luckily it hasnt affected my fertility longterm . If you find after 6 mths u've still no cycle get ure GP to check ure hormone levels as mine did and prescribe you a mini-pill to get ure ovulation going again. Good luck :babydust: