Commuting when pregnant

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

LizaMinnelli Posts: 171
Hi there Anybody any experience of commuting using public transport when pregnant? Is it as tough as it sounds?
bobby2012 Posts: 644
Yes, regularly. It's the same as when not pregnant, so don't really understand the question, sorry... can you be more specific?
jewellb Posts: 2389
Don't worry Liza I understand your question, I don't use it much now but used it a bit in early pregnancy, I found sitting near a window helped when I felt pukey, or over heated my nausea was usually in the evening so I found it a bit worse on the way home, as I could feel kinda dizzy if standing for long this was worst for me around wks 16-22 it was like my blood pressure would drop. So just hold on to something or get off at the next stop. It's only now again near the end I'm getting that wozzy feeling when I've to stand again, and I didn't look pregnant till I was 26 wks plus so don't be expecting anyone to notice, :-)) There are girls on here that prob never suffered with nausea or dizziness and If they did good forbid anyone would think they were looking for special treatment when pregnant!! I hope you won't find it 2 bad xxx
23Daisy Posts: 416
Hi Liza, I use public transport to get in and out of work everyday. I don't suffer from nausea but I suffer from dizziness. On ds1 I was using the Luas, I found that I would regularly have to get off as I felt like I was going to pass out, it wasn't pleasant. I eventually got a parking space and was fine. On this pregnancy I'm using the bus. I don't find it bad but if I'm standing on the bus and it gets very packed and warm I do feel sick/dizzy, otherwise it's grand. As jewellb said if you sit near a window it helps. My one bugbear with the bus at the moment is people smoking on it, I haven't been able to sit upstairs for ages as it makes me sick!! Good luck with your pregnancy:)
[quote="23Daisy":1qd7lq7e]My one bugbear with the bus at the moment is people smoking on it, I haven't been able to sit upstairs for ages as it makes me sick!! Good luck with your pregnancy:)[/quote:1qd7lq7e] You serious? People smoking on the bus AND you're pregnant and you don't do anything about it? The only time it ever happened to me, I stood up, walked right up to them and told them straight out that if they didn't put it away, I was going to the driver. They didn't and I did. It was sorted immediately. Antisocial behaviour will only continue if people look away and let it. Public transport-wise, I honestly didn't find much difference. I was a bit nausious for a little while on this pregnancy (others not even that), but I just concentrated on other things to get my mind off it and actually found it helpful. Fresh air helped as well. One thing I found that made symptoms worse is when the bus stops and moves a little and stops again and goes again... usually heavy taffic in town, but that's true for a car as well.
23Daisy Posts: 416
[quote="bobby2012":1cdw8jm3][quote="23Daisy":1cdw8jm3]My one bugbear with the bus at the moment is people smoking on it, I haven't been able to sit upstairs for ages as it makes me sick!! Good luck with your pregnancy:)[/quote:1cdw8jm3] You serious? People smoking on the bus AND you're pregnant and you don't do anything about it? The only time it ever happened to me, I stood up, walked right up to them and told them straight out that if they didn't put it away, I was going to the driver. They didn't and I did. It was sorted immediately. Antisocial behaviour will only continue if people look away and let it[/quote:1cdw8jm3] I reported it to Dublin bus I wouldn't approach anybody and put myself or my baby in danger. Dublin bus don't expect drivers to approach these people either. They arrange for undercover Gardai to go on the bus to see if they can catch them as its illegal.
sugarandspice Posts: 2378
[quote="bobby2012":18lu421r][quote="23Daisy":18lu421r]My one bugbear with the bus at the moment is people smoking on it, I haven't been able to sit upstairs for ages as it makes me sick!! Good luck with your pregnancy:)[/quote:18lu421r] You serious? People smoking on the bus AND you're pregnant and you don't do anything about it? The only time it ever happened to me, I stood up, walked right up to them and told them straight out that if they didn't put it away, I was going to the driver. They didn't and I did. It was sorted immediately. Antisocial behaviour will only continue if people look away and let it..[/quote:18lu421r] Don't see where she said she didn't do anything about it??? And I must say I wouldn't approach smoker either, particularly when pregnant - you don't know what sort of response you would get and I wouldn't put myself / baby at risk. I commuted all through pregnancy (bus and dart), luckily wasn't too bad with nausea. Didn't really look obviously pregnant until near the end so often ended up standing on packed dart as people didn't offer seats.
At least from the incident I was part of, the driver can most certainly do something about it and he did. He stopped the bus, went us and didn't move until they got off the bus (which wasn't too long as they were just a bunch of teenagers and once confronted by an authority figure the rebelious streak was nearly gone). I would hardly consider approaching a bunch of rebelious teens and asking them to stop smoking on a bus full of people and with cameras recording everything as putting myself in danger. Theirs is not dangerous behaviour, it's rebellious behaviur. As I said before, this behaviour will only continue if people fascilitate it and doing nothing is exactly that. Reporting it later is unfortunately completely worthless. Nothing will be done by Dublin Bus and these teens were once again allowed to do as pleased and got away with it.
LizaMinnelli Posts: 171
Thanks for the replies ladies :) Was concerned about getting sick on public transport or bursting to pee... Hopefully wont be any worse than your experiences above!
If you are worried specifically about that, I think that it might put your mind at ease to know that a kind driver (hopefully that's the majority) would stop even between stops for a pregnant woman that needs to get off for whatever reason. Never happened to me, but did to some I know.