Compiling a CV

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

SandyClaws Posts: 3108
Eh im probably sure that there may have been topics like this before but does anyone have the headings for doing their CV? i know that you have to include like personal info and previous employment and education and hobbies and the like but am i missing anything else?
theoracle Posts: 7664
Writting a CV is a fine art. What headings and structure you use is completely dependant on the experience and skill mix of the person that the CV is for as well as the job one applies for. For example, for somebody who has limited work experience, a CV highlighting personal skills would work better. If you are a high achiever with a wealth of practical experience, inevitably the first section of your CV would be relating to this etc. If the job you apply for is similarly, not really in the same field, the best way would be construct the CV in such a way to highlight the transferrable skills and experience which woudl illustrate how working in eg retail could still make you a suitable candidate for eg a marketing post. Also in certain jobs the qualification/education you have is most important to the job so in that case this is what should go to the top of 1st page so that a HR person scanning your CV immeditaely identifies why you would be a potential candidate for the job.
SandyClaws Posts: 3108
thanks very much theoracle, its def time i got my bum in gear and finally did my cv to see if i have any other options out there, my current job makes me so unhappy
theoracle Posts: 7664
Make a general CV first that highlighs all the areas of experience and skills and then when you see a job you like you can customize it by taking out any irrelevant bits and accentuating the relevant, just make sure you really highlight your strengths. Avoid templates, whilst they are a good outline for basic ideas, they rarely do justice to your individual circumstances. Write down what you did in a job and then convert each job task into a capability or skill. If you need any help with this, feel free to give me a shout. :wv