Computer people (need help desperately)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsPud Posts: 284
Hi any computer whizzes out there...... My printer spooler is stopped and when i try to restart it i get the following message Could not start the print spooler service on local computer Error 1053 The service did not respond to the start or control request in timely fashion. Can anyone help please.... :o( :o( :o(
weddingguest1 Posts: 20
Resolve: This issue can occur if the Print Spooler service is not running. To start the service: 1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK. 2. In the Services pane, right-click Print Spooler, and then click Properties. 3. Under Startup type, make sure that the startup type is set to Automatic. If it is not, click Automatic in the Startup type list, and then click Apply. 4. Under Service status, click Start. 5. Click OK to close the Print Spooler Properties dialog box.
Heflen Posts: 4050
Thats one way to start it, but doesn't address why it's not starting. Go to C:\Windows\system32\spool\PRINTERS Have a look for any .spl files here - delete any you find Restart the pc Let me know if that doesn't work..
Thanks weddingguest1, this is what i was doing last night, but the error kept coming up when i tried to start it. Checked that it was set to automatic, even tried it on manual but it still wouldnt start. *) Heflen, thanks a million for the advise, i'll try that when i get home this evening and let you know how i get on. *)
No luck Heflen, i think ill have to bring it in somewhere. there was two files and i deleted them both, restart the computer but the same message is still coming up.
mad woman Posts: 22106
have you tried re-loading your printer software?
It's nothing to do with the Printer software. Follow the steps from the second poster - what are the service properties? Manual or automatic?
Automatic, this is what i was doing already to restart it, i can do all of this but when i click start (to start the print spooler again) i get the error message
Under Service properties, what is listed under 'Recovery' - it should be 'Restart this service' Whats listed under dependencies? Madser may have been partly right - have you uninstalled any printer software lately, particularly Lexmark software..
Under recovery it states restart this service in the 3 boxes i think. I first tried to re install the software when i couldnt print, but it wont even let me do this because it says the printer spooler is stopped. It gives me an option to restart it but when i click this it just goes back to the desktop. Dont know what happened to it, because I know I didnt uninstall the software.