Confused about newborn nappy size

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Babyboomerang Posts: 543
This seems a bit ridiculous but bear with me... I was going to buy the newborn nappies today. Picked up Pampers size 1 (2-5kg) and mentally ticked it off the list. Then I noticed size 2 is for 3-6kg O:| Why do the sizes overlap so much? My baby is expected to be around the 4kg weight when born, so is there a risk that size 1's would be too small? Maybe I should buy a small pack (16 nappies) to see how they fit? Any advice?
Sydney Bristow Posts: 185
I would buy two packets of each size. If you need more size 1's, you can always send someone out to buy them for you! My dd was 8lb and stayed in size 1 for about a month.
Gingham Posts: 3014
My ds was 9lbs at birth and is 5 days old now... we went straight into size two huggies..there isn't that much of a difference in the size ones and size twos to be honest...tesco have boxes of 94 size 2's for a tenner...
Daff Posts: 11644
Don't worry, don't forget that babies lose about 10% of body weight when born. They also go through a lot of nappies - so a pack fo szie one might only last 2/3 days. So youll use them anyway. DD was 8lbs and on size 1 for a few weeks.
Babyboomerang Posts: 543
Thanks girls. Didn't expect nappies to trip me like this :o0 I'll get some of both sizes and I'm sure they'll get used. Lovemybaby, I hadn't thought about the weight loss :duh:
FoundHome Posts: 1753
Definitely err on the side of caution and buy a couple of packets of size 1s and 2s. I only had size 2s bought (and packed in hospital bag) when Jnr came 4 weeks early weighing in at 5lb 15oz. All the way along the consultant told me that there were no indications that I would go early and was expecting a 9lb+ baby. Wasn't the end of the world but best to be prepared :wv