Confused! Doctors, Consultants, Midwives, Gyne?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Wannabamama Posts: 481
Im a little confussed girls maybe you can shed some light on this for me. I have read various different posts from people who have various different appointments with the above. So far i have met my doc for confirmation of pregnancy and blood pressure check. I told him we had decided to go semi-private at Mount Carmel and he recommended a consutant. I called the consultant and have an appointment in his private pracite on 14th September, I will be exactly 8 weeks then. His secretary said he would do a scan at this stange, i believe he has a mini scan machine, this is a relief as doc said scan would probably take place at 18-19 weeks. :eek But at what stage do you meet the midwife and have gyne appointment? I presume i will go to the hospital for a proper scan at some point?
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Meet the midwife?never heard of this but it may be the case in Mt.Carmel when you get your first scan thats when you meet your gyne he does it
Sorry, maybe i phrased this wrong, I have just read people talking about asking the midwife questions at appointment, maybe i have got the wrong end of the stick. Im a bit clusess sorry just trying to get my head around things.
MrsNoc05 Posts: 1823
I went combined care with my GP and had a private consultant - the consultant is your obstetrician/gynaecologist (excuse the spelling im in a hurry !) My gp or actually the nurse in my Gp's practice did all my blood pressure and checked my urine samples and listened to babs heartbeat and all the other visits were with my consultant in his office and he did mini scan each time also. I didnt see a midwife until I went into hospital to be induced and my consultant was in and out all the time I was in labour and was there from the time I started pushing until dd was born (1hour) and performed episiotomy and done stitches. checked in on me everyday until he discharged me and I saw him at 6wk check up too !! HTH MrsNoc
Elliecat Posts: 2725
Hi, I'm in the north so slightly different system. I confirmed my bfp with doc, who made an appointment with the mdiwife in his clinic, and from here on in I see the consultant every 8 weeks or so and have a midwives appt in between each hospital appointment. I probably won't see my GP at all again.
breeze Posts: 1175
Same here. I see my GP every 4 weeks then see my consultant every 4 weeks. I havent meet a Midwife. Gp checks my urine and BP and my consultant checks baby with a mini scan and asks how im feeling and thats it. He also done my bloods on the first visit.
chilledout Posts: 834
If you're going to Mount Carmel then you will be seeing the consultant as a private patient. You might be going into the hospital as semi private but as far as I know the consultants in MC only see patients on a private basis. If you go private then you usually only see the consultant (who is the gyne). If you go public you get to see the midwives more often as you haven't paid for the privilage of seeing the consultant!
Thanks girls, its all much clearer now.