Consultation Fee

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

excitedbride2013 Posts: 205
Hi all, I phoned dinagh modes bridal shop in roscommon to arrange appointment to try on dresses - I was so excited:o)ll but then I was told there is a 50euro consultation fee for all appointments now. Is this the norm???? I'm fairly disappointed as this whole thing is expensive enough without having to pay out for this, but I've heard such good things about this shop I had my heart set on going there. Thanks :)
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
This carry on was going on in Cork a while back. I wouldn't pay to try on dresses, there's enough bridal shops out there who don't need to impose charges like this. Sure, Brown Thomas don't charge a fee for looking at designer bags which can cost more than a wedding dress! I would also tell the shop you won't be paying a fee.
Bridester Posts: 920
I would not pay it either - it's a lot of money and could be better spent elsewhere - can you tell us where you are based and what labels you want to try on (if any) and we can try recommend alternative dress shops to you?
Leanne2112 Posts: 313
You're joking!!! You would honestly think people don't want you to come into a shop!!!
mellymoon78 Posts: 89
I thought she would start charging soon. She is excellent and it is a consult rather than just trying on dresses. I dont think I would pay it out of principal but she is very good if you dont know the style you want. She confirmed what I thought suited me/what I wanted. If you know what you want I wouldnt bother.
excitedbride2013 Posts: 205
...yes, I think that's really the dilemma... I don't know what I want, I haven't even looked at any brands/dresses yet, so I thought this would be a good place to start as I heard she was brilliant at telling you what suits/doesn't suit etc. But then like you are all saying, it's a bit rich to pay to try on stock somewhere...shouldn't this be part of the service? OR on the other hand, does someone who invests so much time and effort in giving you a consult deserve to be rewarded for that!? I'm based between Dublin-Longford-Galawy (long story :o0 ) so looking in any of those places would suit me... ..thanks for the advice, this website is SO great :)
Carriedaway Posts: 1863
no way would i pay to try on a dress that is a joke!! they make enough money off the dress as it is
Schnicks Posts: 50
HI Guys, I had heard of this and thought it was ridiculous until a friend told me she went to a Bridal store, tried on loads of dresses and spent over 2 hours with the lady in the shop. She picked the dress she loved, got all of the information on the dress and then ordered it online. So the shop gave her two hours for nothing. I didn't day anything but thought it was awful. Maybe if the 50 euro was refunded against a purchase of a dress it would be worth it.
Bridester Posts: 920
RE where to go excited bride: Dublin - I hear 'Town bride' in the powerscourt centre is supposed to be good for telling you what suits you but I never ended up going there. Others in Dublin I went to that were good were the 'Bridal Outlet Baldoyle', 'Moreland Bridal', 'White Orchid' Swords, Kathy De Stafford, the Courtyard for Brides. Alexanders Bridal also good and inexpensive. Galway I hear 'Thisles' in Tuam is very good for getting you what suits you and that they give you a glass of champers - wahay! I also tried Tracey Bridal in Galway and it was good - good selection.
AwkwardAnnie Posts: 2191
[quote="excitedbride2013":1oumxd81]...yes, I think that's really the dilemma... I don't know what I want, I haven't even looked at any brands/dresses yet, so I thought this would be a good place to start as I heard she was brilliant at telling you what suits/doesn't suit etc. But then like you are all saying, it's a bit rich to pay to try on stock somewhere...shouldn't this be part of the service? OR on the other hand, does someone who invests so much time and effort in giving you a consult deserve to be rewarded for that!? I'm based between Dublin-Longford-Galawy (long story :o0 ) so looking in any of those places would suit me... ..thanks for the advice, this website is SO great :)[/quote:1oumxd81] I visited 6 bridal shops when I was looking for a dress - none charged a "consultation fee". I wouldn't pay to try on a dress. You'll find that most bridal shops will tell you what will suit your shape but to be honest when you try on a few different shapes and styles of dresses you'll know yourself what you like or what you don't like.