Contraception advice... - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ianstuart Posts: 1947
I cant believe a Doctor would suggest you have both implanon and the pill , some Doctors are crazy. I was on the implanon for 8 years and i got it out last month , but everything i read and the DR told me was that you could be safe for up to 3 months after getin it out OR you could be in the percentage that will get pregnant in the first month so basically NO-ONE knows O:| I would get the MAP . Just to be on the safe side. Off topic can you get the MAP over the counter now without going to the DR???
Anahita Posts: 1161
Yep you sure can, however you are taken into a cubicle and the pharamacist goes through some info with you, asks some questions and you have to sign a consent form
brideorbridezilla Posts: 512
Ian I know. I would have been completely fine on the pill only my doc pursuaded me to go on the implant. worst mistake ever. Now I don't want to take anything as I feel my body needs a break. About MAP, I'm in England so looked it up and you can but it in any pharmacy. but think I'm going to go down to 24hour doc when OH comes home just to be on the safe side!!
Flower Girl Posts: 1645
For women who have a lot of bleeding when they first get the implant, the recommended treatment is to go on back-to-back pills for 3 months (i.e. no break between packs) and often the bleeding settles down after that. So what your doctor did was totally appropriate. Like the pill, the hormones in the implant are cleared from your body very quickly after getting it removed (there's no 'build-up' of hormones), and it's possible to ovulate within the first week off it. So, while it's unlikely, you're probably best getting the MAP just to be sure.
brideorbridezilla Posts: 512
Flowergirl I didn't get that advice. My doc just put me back on the pill as normal. I got the implant in Aug 2011, doc put me back on pill November 2011 and I was on it nine months there before getting implant out. Thanks for the advice though! Skinnymini, I know it is mortifying... but at the end of the day I should have known better ;o) then I would be in this little quandry :-8
ianstuart Posts: 1947
[quote="Skinnymini":1bzbnw13]Yep you sure can, however you are taken into a cubicle and the pharamacist goes through some info with you, asks some questions and you have to sign a consent form[/quote:1bzbnw13] :ooh WELL , IN MY DAY you had to go to the DR :o0 , Delighted to hear its over the counter now and so easily accessible .