Contraception - Help?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

SaraD08 Posts: 1795
Hi Ladies.. Im actually quite emabarrsed coming on and asking this (at 34 :-8 ) but I was on the pill for 12 years and came off it last year. I am looking for another reliable form of contraception (not condoms) if anyone could recommend? :thnk I don’t want to go back on the pill or injection as I reckon all those hormones can’t be good for me after being on them sooo long…. Would really apprecite any feedback? Thanks
Clumsy28 Posts: 407
We used the rythm method but we now also have have a 1yr old :-8
MinnietheMinx Posts: 2396
I decided shortly after starting on the pill that I didn't want all the hormones in my system- 11 years later and we're still using condoms. It's not ideal, would love to find something else non- hormonal but at least with condoms there are no side effects. I'm tempted to try the Fertility Awareness Method (FAM) but it involves temping every day and I'm not sure I want to do that. I've just bought Taking Charge of Your Fertility which outlines FAM in great detail so I might give it a go once I've read the book a bit more. I'm very undecided about it though.
SaraD08 Posts: 1795
Thanks Ladies.... I am just researching the coil or something like that just wanted to check peoples opinions / experiences. I would be terrfied if i didnt have some form of contraception... we do use condoms at the mo but both hate them :o0 I wouldnt trust counting my fertlile days etc... I would be stressed all month thinking about it :o0 Thanks again :thnk
tickingclock Posts: 609
Would you try Nuvaring? I hear it's supposed to be good. Think it's about €20 a pop but that does you the month. Just delivers the hormones locally so you're not putting all the hormones into your bloodstream.
Bundle of fun Posts: 22
I was just gonna suggest the Nuvaring. OK, it's still hormones but it delivers a constant low dose unlike the pill. I found it way handier than the pill
polkadot Posts: 312
I think the coil is usually only recommended for women who have given birth but could be wrong. I had the depo implant which was good & know few friends who had the ring and also found it good.
PussyGalore Posts: 3388
I had the Mirena coil put in when I was in my early 30s. I kept it in for about four years and it was basically fine, got next to know bleeding until about three months before I had it removed I started to get breakthrough bleeding. The other reason for taking it out was at the time I was single. I have no kids so they put it in under a general anaesthetic and my GP removed it (that was painful even with a valium to take the edge off). At the moment we're throwing caution to the wind!
BusyDee Posts: 8527
There is a type of coil that doesn't release hormones - I think the way it works is it sits against the wall of your womb so stops it building up each month so making it impossible for an egg to implant or something like that! But as someone else said I think it's only recommended if you've had a baby. I would also recommend the nuvaring - still hormones I know but found it so handy as you put it in and can forget about it for 3 weeks, take it out for a week and you have your period and then put in a a new one again for another 3 weeks. It won't fall out as its flexible and once you insert it it widens out again and its no problem during sex, I used it for about 3 years and found it so handy, will be going back on it as soon as I can. Hope your keeping well :thnk
cupcakebabe Posts: 2232
You could get in contact with Napro. They have a great system for tracking your fertile times using your mucus and to be honest i would feel 100% confident in using it as a method of birth control if we needed it. U would actually meet with a teacher every few weeks (€50 ours was) and she would teach you how to read your body. Its really interesting and like i said i would feel fully confident with it. They dont just do fertility issues you can use them for contraception also. No hormones and no temp taking everyday. They temp is not that reliable anyway cause once you notice the rise im temp thats too late you have ovulated!