Contraception when BFing

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
Does anyone know if you can take the pill while BFing?? I heard you can't. I can't use condoms as have allergy to latex, so what other options are there? Excuse my ignorance on this - I have only ever used the Pill. I don't want coil or anything long-term like injections etc. Anyone know? Its just 2 of my friends became pregnant again within 2 months of birth as they were BFing and were unprotected. This CANNOT happen me, unless childcare becomes free!
Tigletts Posts: 2904
DM I'm the same as you. I'm almost sure you [i:npj25djz]can[/i:npj25djz] take the mini pill, which is just as effective but has different properties afaik. I might ask the Dr today actually when in the hospital if I think of it. Might as well try and get a pack now before I forget. For some reason I think that once babs arrives I'll be housebound for weeks on end !!
MrsOBrien1412 Posts: 3971
[color=indigo:29ogj6e7]Hi, This article might be of some use, I have a friend who got pregnant while bf she has a five month old and is three months pregnant[/color:29ogj6e7] http://health.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=25570
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
OMG I'm so embarrassed, and can't believe I'm going to say this but I was sure that if you were bfing then you didn't get af back :-8 I thought it was nature's contraception :-8 :-8 My Mam said to me the other day that is was very easy to get pregnant again if you were bfing and I laughed at her :-8 God I'll have to ring her now and apologise, she obviously knows a lot more than me.
pattie Posts: 2379
A friend of mine took the mini pill while BF'g. Have you tried Durex Avanti Desert Moon? They're latex-free but very dear.
No I've never tried those, I'd prefer the mini pill I think. I only found out a few weeks ago that you don't get AF while BFing. :-8 How thick am I? So therefore I'm bit confused about taking pill!?!? I'll ask them in the hospital - I'm sure they will advise me. Thanks for all the replies :thnk
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
[quote="Desert-Moon":160dorvz] I only found out a few weeks ago that you don't get AF while BFing. [/quote:160dorvz] See now I'm even more confused - how can you get bfp if you don't get af? Definitely something that will have to be brought up at next hospital appointment.
Avril Hiswife Posts: 1743
Most women don't get af while breastfeeding and it is a good method of contraception as long as baby is not getting any other food or formula, so if you are following current guidelines it should be good for the first six months or so: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility.html Desertmoon, can you not get latex free condoms? If you would prefer some kind of pill here is some info: http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html
chilledout Posts: 834
No you don't get periods while you're breast feeding but its no guarantee that you can't get pregnant. Its a lot less likely but its certainly caught out many women so its not really worth the risk if you don't want any more kids for the moment! I talked to my doctor about the pill and he didn't recommend it while breast feeding. You can take the mini pill but you have to take it at exactly the same time each day. Even a few hours out can effect it and I know a couple of women who got pregnant while on it as a result. Like you Desert moon, we really can't afford to have any more kids for a couple of years so I decided to get the Mirena fitted. Its a tiny plastic yoke that they insert into the uterus and it releases the same stuff as the pill, but as its right in your uterus the levels are way lower and its fine to use while breastfeeding. It didn't hurt at all getting it in (although doc did say it was because I'd just had a big baby!) and you can get it taken out at any time. I find it great as you can just forget about it, but yet its not as permanent as an implant etc. I got it in the IFPA clinic http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/ius.html
Thanks for the info!!! God I'm so clueless on all this :ooh I'll have to look into my options further. The whole thing is very confusing. I mean if your not getting periods, then your not oving, and hence you can't get pregnant, so how does that happen!!!! :eek I dunno, definately something to discuss at next visit, as I want to be prepared for after and not leave it on the long finger.