Cooking for guests...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

nelswife Posts: 3869
Just wondering if you are cooking for guests would you make sure they liked what you were cooking or just cook something anyway? Only reason i am asking is i was watching an episode of come dine with me the other day (think it was an old one), anyway on Day 1 .. the host cooked fish, one of the guests said that they didnt like fish but would try it anyway as she had gone to the effort of making it, Roll on Day 4 and someone else was cooking the same fish, (think a paella (Sp) with a load of fish in it) went to her fish mongers asked for whatever fish it was (wasnt preordered) and didnt bother getting something for your one that didnt like it, her comment was something along that line of tough she can have the starter and dessert because she wasnt goingt to go to the bother of having to make something extra just because she didnt like it!, you would thing with £1000 at stake she would make an effort!! I would always make sure my guests ate the food i was going to cook!
Ms HP Posts: 617
Check they like it!! Friends of ours invited us for dinner there was shepherd's pie and lasagne on the menu, lovely except I don't eat mince
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
I've noticed that before too about Come Dine with Me! The first night is fair enough but I've seen ones before where one guest is a vegetarian and the person hosting on the FIFTH night has served steak and the poor veggie just had to eat the potatoes! And the host has just shrugged and said 'ah well, they jsut have to make do'. I would absolutley, positively always ask my guests what they like. Within reason of course, you're not going to please everyone with everything. (For example I'm not a huge fan of brocolli, it's just not my favourite veg but I'd totally eat it if it was in a dish, no problem.) But in general I always ask if people are vegetarian, have allergies, have a real dislike for something. Personally I can't eat spicy food so very hot curries and Indian food is a real no-no for me, I'd be really ill. So if I went to a dinner party and the main course was a very hot spicy curry I just wouldn't be able to eat it. I'd hate that to happen with one of my dinners so I'd always ask the guests for a general idea of what they like, or give them a general idea of the menu. Just a simple 'I think I'm going to do roast chicken and then a cheesecake for dessert, how does that sound?' so people could then say that they didn't eat meat or were allergice to lactose or whatever.
SunnyK Posts: 3834
+ 1 to what SmileyKaz said. I'd never KNOWINGLY make something that I knew someone didn't like. Why would you invite someone to your house for dinner then hand them something you knew they didn't like. So I'd always just double check that the basics of the meal were ok first. Nelswife are you inviting us all over for dinner?! :o0
whoop whoop Posts: 1616
I think if there's something you [i:1cqt2w38]can't[/i:1cqt2w38] eat, it's up to you to tell the host if someone is cooking you a meal. If there's stuff you don't like, then you just have to be polite. I can see why people might say 'how does a roast chicken sound?', but would you really expect someone to say 'hmmmm I'm not a fan of chicken, can you cook something else?' If I knew someone didn't like something, I wouldn't cook it, but I'm not going to check with each guest in advance for their personal preferences.
seedee Posts: 1017
i think id ask if anyone was a vegetarian, and leave that as an invitation to be told if someone doesnt eat something, but i wouldnt probe too deeply about their food preferences. i only know how to cook so many things anyway! :o0
ciaraella Posts: 5323
I'd always consider what the guests eat and if i couldn't find out i'd stick to something fairly simple or have one or two alternatives ie if i was doing a roast dinner i'd have two meats. I think you have to be mindful of what your guests like but equally as a guest i think you have to be polite and willing to try what's served (obviously not if you're a veggie or have allergies) We were watching come dine with me aswell last week (the welsh week) and there was one guest who didn't eat veg, fruit, lamb, fish.....the list went on and on. I couldn't understand why she bothered going on the show in the first place. She made a big huge deal about trying the food and spat it out when she didn't like it :ooh If i was in a strangers house i'd swallow the food even if i despised it, i don't think i could ever spit out food at the table as a guest as a dinner party (not that i'd be going to that many dinner parties :o0 )
nelswife Posts: 3869
Yeah SunnyK...just trying to suss out what everyone likes..altough it you wait another 6 months i will be able to have some drinkies with you! I just felt sorry for your one picking though the rice she was starving especially when the host knew she didnt like fish, if you dont know its a different story I understand you cant check personally with each guest, you would end up cooking about 5 or 6 different meals!
Mrs W Posts: 2923
I would to a certain extent, my friend says she hates onions but loves my lasagne. I would never make it or spag bol without onions and she thinks I dont put them in it for her :innocent: But I'd never make anything that someone really didnt eat, I'm the pickiest person going so normally if it suits me it suits everyone else! I dont eat fish, lamb, pork (except for sauseys and bacon sometimes) I only eat white chicken meat and if it was a roast then I'd have to cut my own.. I should be a veggie really
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
[quote="whoop whoop":23f7d76e]I think if there's something you [i:23f7d76e]can't[/i:23f7d76e] eat, it's up to you to tell the host if someone is cooking you a meal. If there's stuff you don't like, then you just have to be polite. I can see why people might say 'how does a roast chicken sound?', but would you really expect someone to say 'hmmmm I'm not a fan of chicken, can you cook something else?' If I knew someone didn't like something, I wouldn't cook it, but I'm not going to check with each guest in advance for their personal preferences.[/quote:23f7d76e] I would MUCH rather they said they didn't like chicken than force themselves to eat something. Also particularly because if they said nothing, I might make it again and again for them. I always say that to anyone I'm cooking for, even my husband, tell me if you really don't like it because if you say nothing, I'm just going to serve it again. If someone said to me 'I'm going to make a big pot of spicy curry for dinner what do you think' I'd have to say I didn't like it. I'd apologise and explain but I'd rather say it there and then than turn up on the night and eat nothing.