cooking question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

noddy Posts: 666
hi everyone, i posted here cos i know it would be read quicker!! my question is,Im cooking fettuccine carbonara for dinner today and i found a recipe : INGREDIENTS 5 teaspoons olive oil 4 shallots, diced 1 large onion, cut into thin strips 1 pound bacon, cut into strips 1 clove garlic, chopped 1 (16 ounce) package fettuccini pasta 3 egg yolks 1/2 cup heavy cream 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese salt and pepper to taste READ REVIEWS (54) Review/Rate This Recipe Save To Recipe Box Add to Shopping List Add a Personal Note Post a Recipe Photo Post a Favorite Food List Create a Menu DIRECTIONS Heat olive oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Saute shallots until softened. Stir in onion and bacon, and cook until bacon is evenly browned. Stir in garlic when bacon is about half done. Remove from heat. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain pasta, then return it to the pot. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, cream, and shredded Parmesan. Pour the bacon mixture over the pasta, then stir in the cream mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Right it's really easy till i get to the end! It says whisk together egg yolks,cream and parmesan,then pour the bacon mixyure over the past and stir in the cream mixture, but how is the cream mixture cooked???? I know it's a really dumb question but i'm not the best of cooks and im not 100% sure on this. thanks very much for any replies noddy :thnk
newkid30 Posts: 2233
[quote="noddy":10fwea58]hi everyone, Right it's really easy till i get to the end! It says whisk together egg yolks,cream and parmesan,then pour the bacon mixyure over the past and stir in the cream mixture, [b:10fwea58]but how is the cream mixture cooked????[/b:10fwea58] I know it's a really dumb question but i'm not the best of cooks and im not 100% sure on this. thanks very much for any replies noddy :thnk[/quote:10fwea58] It cooks in the heat of the pasta!
fancypants Posts: 453
the mixture will 'cook' from the heat of the drained pasta and the bacon enjoy - it will be yum
reallly????? even the eggs???
fancypants Posts: 453
yip just stir it through
thanks for the replies!!! :thnk maybe its a bit adventurous for me!! I'm kinda worried i poison DH! :-8
Senorita Posts: 3413
Hi there, If you are worried, you can add the cream mixture to the cooked bacon and cook for a couple of mins on a low heat, and then add it all to the drained pasta. Enjoy O-O
[quote="Senorita":2rlx8hba]Hi there, If you are worried, you can add the cream mixture to the cooked bacon and cook for a couple of mins on a low heat, and then add it all to the drained pasta. Enjoy O-O[/quote:2rlx8hba] Thanks i think i'll try that :thnk
Senorita Posts: 3413
[quote="noddy":3ontjdau][quote="Senorita":3ontjdau]Hi there, If you are worried, you can add the cream mixture to the cooked bacon and cook for a couple of mins on a low heat, and then add it all to the drained pasta. Enjoy O-O[/quote:3ontjdau] Thanks i think i'll try that :thnk[/quote:3ontjdau] Keep it on a low enough heat noddy, and it'll thicken up a bit in a few minutes. Once served, add some more parmesan and freshly ground black pepper :lvs Yummmm :lvs
Woodstock Posts: 1565
There are lots of variations of Carbonara, this is how I make it (I'm Italian by the way): In a bowl beat the eggs (dose is 1 egg per person), add salt, pepper, butter, milk and (to make it creamy) add cheese - easy singles will do! Separately cut the bacon in small squares and fry it (I sometimes use ham instead of bacon as is less fattening). Cook the pasta (either fettuccine or spaghetti o tortiglioni or whatever shape you like). Drain the pasta and pour it over the frying pan that has the bacon, then pour over the egg mixture, on a low flame, let the eggs dry up and slowly cook in with the bacon. Serve and sprinkle some Parmigiano on it. The original carbonara recipe is the simplest, only has eggs beaten with salt and pepper, technique is the same, always pour the pasta over the bacon, then pour the eggs; the butter, milk and cheese I mention above is my own way of making it so it's creamier. HTH