Coombe Midwife led Clinic?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mischa09 Posts: 1068
Hi is anyone attending or has previously attended the midwife led clinic at the coombe? I am considering this as an option, i'd like to hear some feedback on what it's like. Thanks M
09Dreams Posts: 260
Hi mischa09, I'm attending the Coombe through the outclinic in Naas as public so you automatically get assigned to the midwife clinic after first appointment with consultant at 12(ish) weeks if they sign you over which they do if you're deemed 'low risk'. I can't comment on the waiting times in the Coombe but in the clinic in Naas, I'm seen within 10 minutes and find them great. :wv
mischa09 Posts: 1068
The coombe is actually convenient for my visits so it's fine. I am just wondering about the care that is provided and what it's like for the birth etc....??
I find them great but obviosuly can't comment on the birth. I've heard from plenty of girls who went private though that when it comes to the birth regardless of whether you're private, semi or public, the midwives are the ones with you for the most part and the private consultant just pops in at the end! If you have issues or complications at delivery, there will be a doctor present regardless of public.
s wife Posts: 1445
ive been attending the clinic in tallaght have to say the midwives have been lovely and its so handy for me its fab not sure about the after care etc :wv
whackywoman Posts: 1496
s Wife Where is the clinic in Tallaght, didn't realise that there was one there.
Blackbird Posts: 5135
Can you tell me how the clinic works - is there a doctor there or just midwives? Reason I'm asking is that last time I had high BP so I had to see the doctor every time so I stayed in the Coombe but I would like to go to Naas the next time. No point in going if they just send me back to the coombe though. Hopefully I won't have the same problems next time anyway.
s wife Posts: 1445
[quote="whackywoman":jrnhztam]s Wife Where is the clinic in Tallaght, didn't realise that there was one there.[/quote:jrnhztam] i think there is a few that you can go to depending on your area im in the mary mercer centre which is just off fortunestown way it was never mentioned to me by the hospital,but i asked them and once i got the all clear that i wasnt in any risk i was allowed to attend, and its been grand,i go to my gp every other week and then attend the clinic for bp,urine and to check baby ,they dont do scans but they do listen to the heratbeat ( which is soo cool )
[quote="Blackbird":e95dih8i]Can you tell me how the clinic works - is there a doctor there or just midwives? Reason I'm asking is that last time I had high BP so I had to see the doctor every time so I stayed in the Coombe but I would like to go to Naas the next time. No point in going if they just send me back to the coombe though. Hopefully I won't have the same problems next time anyway.[/quote:e95dih8i] Hi Blackbird, Tom D'arcy is the consultant who operates out of the Naas clinic 1 day a week (Thursday I think). If you go public, you will see the midwife for your booking in information appointment and then the consultant for your 12 weeks appointment and depending on how he assesses you, low or high risk, he'll either keep you with him and his team of doctors or he'll assign you to the midwives clinic which is Wednesdays. If you go private and chose him as your consultant then you can see him in Naas rather than the Coombe. They no longer see semi-private patients in Naas. Hope that helps and best of luck with the decision. :wv
shootingstar Posts: 1340
Mischa09, Although I didnt attend the hospital you are talking about I did however go through the midwife Led Unit in OLOL. I did not end up having babs there as I had to have a section in the end, but I would highly recommend using the Midwife Led Units everywhere! The staff are wonderful and it was so relaxing and peaceful.