Corkage?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

rubies Posts: 1375
Anyone else's hotel not offering corkage? Don't know if there's any point trying to haggle with our place over it as I've heard they don't budge but just wondering if anywhere else doesn't do it.
For those who answered no where are you holding your reception?
ladyandthetramp Posts: 411
Hi my hotel does corkage, but how do you know how many white and how many red?? i have 140 guests.
CestMoi Posts: 2162
Most recommend 1/2 bottle per guest at a ratio of 60:40 white to red. Ours allows corkage, but it is highly priced. They said it was down to people bringing really cheap / bad wine into places and the hotel ends up looking bad when guests don't like it.
ladyandthetramp Posts: 411
thanks, thats a bit thick if the hotel gave you cheaper corkage you mite be able to afford to buy a decent wine for your guests, its the hotel not wanting to loose out on lots of money being spent by us on their overpriced wine. >:o(
CestMoi Posts: 2162
Yeah I know! I'm going back to them soon anyway to try and negotiate some price cuts. I haven't spoke with them since we booked this time last year! Wine is expensive so will be top of our list. We did some negotiations last year with them, so couldn't talk about the wine at that time anyway.
tilsun Posts: 4506
Sorry may have misunderstood the poll. My hotel does technically allow corkage but it is so unreasonably priced that they know it wouldn't be worth people's while. I heard they do this as they have deals with wine suppliers which involve them buying in bulk. If too many weddings don't take their wine then they cannot order in bulk! It makes sense, didn't bother me too much at the time as buying our own wine just seems like another big job! Will go with the house wine which seems fine
I'd have no problem going with the house wine if it was reasonably priced but it doesn't look like it is. I think I'll have to say it to them but other posters have said they won't budge. Even if they were charging €10 for corkage it would work out better.
Twirler Posts: 1644
Mine doesn't allow corkage - we're getting married in Killashee.
bubblyblonde Posts: 1353
Mine doesnt allow corkage is Ballymascanlon Hotel Dundalk