cost of child care

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

2006wedding Posts: 965
Sorry to be nosy, but how much does child care cost in general? I presume creches are more expensive than getting someone to look after the baby?
charli Posts: 5994
general yes creches are more expensive where my 3 year old goes its 135e per week full time, 150e for babies up to 12 months. i know some people in this same city who are paying up to 180e for babies, as for Dublin, i believe the sky is the limit with costs of >200e per week i am really happy with my place and will put this baby there too
may2008 Posts: 455
i'm in dublin and i pay 190 per week. sometimes a childminder can work out more expensive if you only have one child as some are looking for 300pw but if you have more than one a childminder can be cheaper
Purple Tulip Posts: 3442
we have a great childminder and she costs €20 a day
twinssep Posts: 1242
for my four to go to creche i was quoted 3200e per mth i have a very good job which at the mo im on leave from but there is no way i could justify this amt its scandolous
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
[quote="twinssep":1h2l3c36]for my four to go to creche i was quoted 3200e per mth i have a very good job which at the mo im on leave from but there is no way i could justify this amt its scandolous[/quote:1h2l3c36] Good Lord Twinssep :eek Are you going to return to work?even part-time
twinssept you would prob be better off with a childminder rather than creche as it would work out much cheaper. the only prob with childminders is that it can be very hard to find someone you trust.
i really dont know what to do im lucky that im only 28 and will have my family complete so even if i take a career break for a few yers ill still be young enough to go back when they r at school and i dont see why i should pay that amt when i can afford to stay at home and mind them myself i saying that i do miss the interaction at work
yeah its an awful lot of money to justify spending on childcare even if you can afford it. i have a good job myself but i really don't think i could bring myself to pay that- i only have the one at the moment so its not too bad. even for 2 is ok but any more than that and you are really ripped off on the price of childcare.
the creche arond the corner offerd 5% discount!!! ill be staying at home for the foreseeable i might do some consultancy work from home if i can eventually