Cost of church and priest

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mimmie Posts: 601
Hi, I am just wondering what people are paying to use the church and how much is expected to give to the priest I am getting married in a different parish and bringing our priest down there. I rang the parish priest and he was very unclear-he said we will sort it nearer the time and said 'well maybe a couple of euro, like 200 or 250'. Our own priest is not the type to ask that question to so i'm just looking for advice. He will be travelling an hour to get there and is leaving straight after. Would 300 be enough for him? Any advice would be great.Thanks! :wv
marianf Posts: 5845
We had to pay €500 to hire the church. We paid the priest €300 because he had to travel and he also did our rehearsal. We gave a little more because he stepped in last min when our priest got ill. I think €200 is enough in most cases.
hagfromhell Posts: 2146
We are getting married in Church which is not our parish Church, it is costing us €500. My priest is travelling about an hour also so I am thinking around €300 - 350?
thirdtimelucky Posts: 857
Our church is costing €600 and we are going to pay the priest €300 as he's coming from a distance. We have also been advised to pay €50 to the person who "prepares" the church, i.e. comes up that morning to stick on the lights and run the hoover around.
fifibelle Posts: 4447
Our own parish charged us EUR 350 to hire church, then we gave the priest EUR 300 and the sacristan (person who helps around the church) EUr 50. It does add up to quite a big sum but if a church wedding is what you want then you gotta pay it.
hagfromhell Posts: 2146
Also my church won't let me bring the flowers to the hotel after it (I don't mean the bouquets). I didn't want them but I do now because I was told that (spoiled child alert). Also their resident organist has to get first refusal at playing the organ at my wedding. My cousin is playing it for nothing so he can kiss my bumbum
[quote="designerwine":1fj6rkwa]Also my church won't let me bring the flowers to the hotel after it (I don't mean the bouquets). I didn't want them but I do now because I was told that (spoiled child alert). Also their resident organist has to get first refusal at playing the organ at my wedding. My cousin is playing it for nothing so he can kiss my bumbum[/quote:1fj6rkwa] Same with us Re flowers but my mother made sure to take them with her when she heard that they were trying to force us to leave them there :o0
ms-not-mrs!! Posts: 287
Myy church is only €150-is that weird.? I do have to leave my flowers there-i know thatmuch. But think €150 is pretty okay.? Priest is a family friend so dont know how much to be paying him? He'd be coming to the wedding anyway?
Our priest came to wedding too but we still gave him that amount as pre-marriage course told us that anything less than EUR 200 is an insult. Good old catholic church values eh!!! :o0 EUR 150 for church is brill, take it and run!!!
yankiecandle Posts: 2888
ours is free & its a cathedral! i think its terrible you have to pay! obviously we will make a donation. but an shocked they is a fee!