Menu

Cost of Church/Priest????

Go to Legal & Religious

snooki
New Wolly

Cost of Church/Priest????

Postby snooki » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:39 pm

Hi Ladies

How do you know how much to give the Church/Priest? Does the priest tell you, should I ask him, do you just give a donation on the day, how does it work?

We have just recently booked our wedding and have booked the church and priest and venue. In our meeting with the priest he did not mention a cost and as far i'm aware its adonation that you are meant to give?

Any ideas would be great ( dont want to ask the priest if I dont have to )

Thanks

queen30
Wolly Addict

Re: Cost of Church/Priest????

Postby queen30 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:15 pm

we got a magazine from the parish office that suggests a donation of €200. dont know if its the same everywhere.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

snooki
New Wolly

Postby snooki » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks Queen30, a friend of mine was saying around E200 also but I wasnt sure if we just presume its that amount of if we actually have to ask. My H2B's priest is going to be asked along so we will have to give him a donation also

Thanks for your reply

cirquedesoliel
Mini Wolly

Postby cirquedesoliel » Tue May 03, 2011 9:23 am

when we initially booked our church the priest gave us a leaflet of everything that needs to be done legally/religiously speaking and on it, it said donation of €80 to be given at time of booking church! now we havent given him anything yet but fully intend on giving him €200 the night of the rehersal!

I think it very much depends on your priest i know that my h2b parish priest was being a right pain in the rear as he said that we had to donate to the church every sunday or he wouldnt sign off on h2b now we dont even go to mass in that parish we are like 2 metres over the parish border! and we always go to my parish for mass..... he has since calmed down a little as i think another couple reported him to the bishop!! :eek

don;t forget as well you have to give them sarcrestian (spelling woeful) you have to give them money and if you have an altar server its nice to acknowledge the fact that they were there too!!

hope this helps!! :wv

p.s. with regards to the other priest coming! you only have to give money to the priest that is named on your marriage cert as having officiated at the wedding if you have more than one priest you dont have to! we are having 3 and tbh i think they are coming for the meal as well so that will do them!!
[/url]

okan
Mini Wolly

Postby okan » Tue May 03, 2011 11:31 am

Ours is 100 euro.
We had budgeted for 200.
We'll give the priest a voucher and he will be invited to the meal of course.
any suggestions for a voucher? Was thinking for fuel since he is travelling for us.
How much is appropriate??

snooki
New Wolly

Postby snooki » Tue May 03, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks Ladies, how far does your priest have to travel? Yeah a fuel voucher is a great idea. Everyone loves when they get a fuel voucher , I do anyways with the price of petrol and Diesel!!!! I'd say if the travelling isnt excessive maybe E50??? I dono im just guessing!!!

hope this helps,

Service Finder
Pat Rogers
New Wolly

Postby Pat Rogers » Sun May 15, 2011 10:54 pm

[quote="cirquedesoliel"]
when we initially booked our church the priest gave us a leaflet of everything that needs to be done legally/religiously speaking ..... now we havent given him anything yet but fully intend on giving him €200 the night of the rehearsal!

I'd fully subscribe to that ... €200 is about right as a donation to your celebrant, especially as it seems that he is being very helpful, both by supplying the information, and being willing to conduct a rehearsal on the eve of the wedding.
Fr Pat Rogers

sapphire lady
New Wolly

Postby sapphire lady » Tue May 17, 2011 4:07 pm

we recently received a booking form which suggested a 300 euro donation in advance of the service (by the end of May) I had budgeted 200 and now feel under quite a lot of pressure. Not really sure what to do, thought the seemed higher than average though
[/url]

mrsd2bee
New Wolly

Postby mrsd2bee » Wed May 25, 2011 10:58 pm

Pat Rogers wrote:
cirquedesoliel wrote:when we initially booked our church the priest gave us a leaflet of everything that needs to be done legally/religiously speaking ..... now we havent given him anything yet but fully intend on giving him €200 the night of the rehearsal!

I'd fully subscribe to that ... €200 is about right as a donation to your celebrant, especially as it seems that he is being very helpful, both by supplying the information, and being willing to conduct a rehearsal on the eve of the wedding.
Fr Pat Rogers

Granted the priest should receive a donation for conducting the ceremony, i was thinking 150-170 would be appropriate in this day and age. i don't mean to sound tight by any means but neither myself or h2b are that flush and the job front isn't looking that secure at the minute, plus the church require you to pay €150 to do a premarraige course before you can get married. so my 150 on top of that is a €300 donation to the catholic church in my eyes
[/url]

marybee33
New Wolly

Postby marybee33 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:28 pm

Hi
Just wondering can anyone tell me is there an extra fee to pay if I want to get married in a church that isnt either mine or my fiances parish church??

Really love a church we saw but its not in my own parish??
Thanks

Next

Go to Legal & Religious