Cost of Church?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Diamonds and Pearls Posts: 118
Our venue is a fair distance from my home so we have decided that we are going to have the ceremony in one of the churches close to the venue to save people travelling all day. I’m just wondering what others have been charged for using the church? We have been quoted €300 but I have no idea what I should be benchmarking this against. Is this a lot or is this the norm? Thanks :)
wellholygod11 Posts: 152
Ours is 200 if you aren't from the parish, H2B is so we are giving a donation of 150 .
AmandaMc Posts: 1813
wellholgod- can you clarify something for me as we are getting married in the parish we live in and not sure what the norm is. Do you give both the priest AND church a donation i.e. 150 each? We had planned on giving the priest a donation but someone said this is seperate to the church donation
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
We got married in our own parish that we're living in now, which is also hubby's home parish, the parish he had his Communion/Confirmation etc in. The rate was €300 to the church (the sacristan would be paid out of this) And then €150 the priest. As far as I know, while the prices differ, yes it is the norm to pay a donation to the church and then also to the priest.
AmandaMc Posts: 1813
Good to know, thanks smileykaz! We didn't know what exactly to budget for the church so good to get it clarified at this stage :-8
wellholygod11 Posts: 152
[quote="AmandaMc":1pkbxfh8]wellholgod- can you clarify something for me as we are getting married in the parish we live in and not sure what the norm is. Do you give both the priest AND church a donation i.e. 150 each? We had planned on giving the priest a donation but someone said this is seperate to the church donation[/quote:1pkbxfh8] Yes it's normally one donation each. We are not getting married by the parish priest, a friend of the family is marrying us. When we spoke to Parish Priest about getting our paperwork sorted we asked about money and he said it would be 200 if we werent from the parish but as one of us is a donation would be fine and he'll leave the amount up to us. He also said between 50-70 each for alter soc & sacristan and about 10 each for Altar Boys. As for our Priest we are still trying to work out what to give him, as he is a friend he probably won't expect something huge but we thought maybe 100 in a thank you card and a nice bottle of whiskey for the Parish Priest. I've heard crazy guidelines in some parishes of 300 for church and then 350 for priest!!
Diamonds and Pearls Posts: 118
The €300 we were quoted was just for the church so we would also have to factor in the cost of the priest too. We are hoping that one of my local priests will travel and do the mass. Hopefully he won’t be looking for €350! Thanks for your replies everyone :wv
madhairday Posts: 1116
ours was €375 in total, its also my parish
leodec Posts: 47
I am getting married in my home parish and once I booked the Church I had to send a 100 non refundable deposit to secure the date. I then received a green notice from my parish and this outlined that the priest was to be paid 200, the sacristan 50 and any alter servers to be paid 10 each. I think this is a bit pushy as I believe that as a member of the parish I have contributed each sunday and everyother time there is a collection for the church. Of course we would have made a donation but we didnt have 370 in mind. We more or less had 150 put aside for the priest and alter servers. In fact I feel its another reason for young people like myself to take a dislike to the Catholic church in Ireland.