Cots - mattress question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
What's the story about mattresses? There seems to be loads of different types for every type of cot on the market. I'm sure all are safe to use or they wouldn't be on sale but what is the difference between them? Sorry I'm clueless when it comes to this sort of stuff. I only realised on Sat that the mattress isn't included in the price of any of the cots :-8
Bumpalicious Posts: 512
I got ours in Mamas and Papas, they had about a million different types but I picked one that is designed for houses that are very warm, it has something in it that draws the heat in off the baby. I went for this as our house is v warm, and I figured that any mattress I bought there would be a decent one, they are all very thick etc... It was about 200 euro, mind you! Cant really advise on all the other types, but that's what we went for, anyway..
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
Hi RQ i was in Murphys pram shop on Sunday and i asked the owner about cot mattresses and he said the first (cheapest) is a standard foam one about €40. He said they are perfectly fine. He recommended an anti allergy one if any allergies in the family but said they arent necessary if there isnt any. They sell a mesh like mattress cover which he said draws away prespiration and heat from the baby. It had a plastic backing that catches dust, etc that you can wash, and he said its good as it allows the baby to build up an immunity as she is still in contact with the dust for a time but it can be washed away every few weeks. Its also removable so you can bring it with you and use it in cots in hotels, etc.- It was €60, so total cost €100. Meant to say there is another one (most expensive) - spring mattress but he said they are really for cot beds as they last very long, but again not necessary if just a regular cot. So all in all he recommened the foam with this cover.
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
Thanks girls. :thnk I am getting a M&P cot from argos and it comes with a foam mattress. Just wasn't sure if it was ok or not. NTLG you know so much about them you should be a mattress advisor!! :o0 I'll get that cover from Murphy's - thnks
tricky99 Posts: 118
I was told by all my mates and midwife that when investing in a cot put most of the money into a good mattress. Expensive mattresses are expensive and non foam for a reason. It is known that certain types of mattress help prevent cot deaths so we went all out and put a 200 mattress into a 150 cot. Its not much to pay for extra piece of mind.