cotton wool kids

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sinion Posts: 6050
this is on Channel 4 at the moment, about parents being severly overprotective of their kids. Apart from one parent wanting to microchip her kids, they mostly all have quite normal fears but are just over anxious, [i:13ihfxhj]but[/i:13ihfxhj], the one thing that has struck me so far is that it's shown a few travelling in cars and not one of them was wearing a seatbelt! Jesus christ, if you want to protect your kids don't be worrying about kidnappers and burgulars, look to your own bloody backseat! O:|
sinion Posts: 6050
good jebus I need to stop watching this, i'm getting so angry. One kid is asking his dad if he can stay over at a friend's house, the dad is trying to distract him by offering a Wii or an iphone :ooh then when the kid is gone the dad is saying there's no way he's allowed stay over. He's 13. :eek
Delish Posts: 4176
Was it safer in the past tho? I think people had alot less respect for kids in the past - disgusting old men, were more openly seedy and disgusting in the past - sexual harassment of young girls etc was more tolerated. Maybe the world is a safer place for kids these days.
lets go fly a kite Posts: 2388
[quote="Delish":12tdyhjh][b:12tdyhjh]Was it safer in the past tho?[/b:12tdyhjh] I think people had alot less respect for kids in the past - disgusting old men, were more openly seedy and disgusting in the past - sexual harassment of young girls etc was more tolerated. Maybe the world is a safer place for kids these days.[/quote:12tdyhjh] No I don't think so. Coverage of crimes and dangers has increased dramatically and there is a massive industry for safety products etc but I think whatever danger exists now, existed years ago.
nelly Posts: 1875
[quote="lets go fly a kite":ynv2hcv8]No I don't think so. Coverage of crimes and dangers has increased dramatically and there is a massive industry for safety products etc but I think whatever danger exists now, existed years ago.[/quote:ynv2hcv8] i agree.
chefmaid Posts: 2426
i felt so sorry for those kids - They couldnt even play outside with there friends. I know you have to be careful nowadays with kids but those parents went over the top