Couch to 5k Support thread

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

adelz Posts: 3088
So Ive read a few threads on here in recent days and wks about the c25k, and was thinking of setting up this thread to support each other, give each other the words of wisdom to stick with it and complete the programme. Today I started wk 4 day 1 and wow that 5 min jog is hard! :innocent: But I pushed myself through it and I took advice from people, they told me to jog slowly and when I felt myself getting worn out, I slowed down again and it helped alot :wv Anyone else interested in this?
StarLilly Posts: 684
Today I did week 1, day 1 of couch to 5k! Can you recommend one to download though, cause only realised afterwards that mine is only 3k, think its a tester app or something? So I'm in! I do TRX & kettle bells 2-3 times every week, so will only be running once or twice a week, I'd just like to be able to run 5k as a fitness goal.
StarLilly Posts: 684
Sorry, re-read your post, you're on week 4 so way ahead of me. Well done! Are you planning on entering any races or is it a general goal of running 5k?
PaniniRoses Posts: 3628
Good luck with it ladies, I finished it a couple of weeks ago and managed 33mins/6km last weekend. I remember feeling like I would die doing the 90 second runs, so have faith, the programme works! Starlilly, I found this website great - . It's not an app, you download playlists and she talks over them telling you when to walk and run. I find the tempo great on her playlists, keeps the pace managable and some strategically place Britney and Christina got me through my week 7 :o0
Starlily this is the one I use its the c25k by zen labs, you can download the app. I find it great. I have the radio on or play a playlist and she'll talk over it to say when to run or walk etc....find it super. Panini Roses fair play well done you, you must feel so proud. Its a great achievement. I also did trx but haven't gone the last two wks! Am really enjoying the running, esp been outside, the trx is great though. I'm only running 2 or 3 times a wk though as I hurt my knees before so taking it really slowly. I'm doing hell and back in June so that's great motivation :o0
NewMama2012 Posts: 19
Hi ladies, Great idea for a thread! I've just started the couch25k last Wednesday, I'm doing it every day, not using my rest days, did anyone else do this and keep at it? I'm very overweight, 100 kilos, so I'm anxious to try do it every day if I can. No pains yet, on week 2 day 2 today, I really thought I'd be crippled after walking not to talk about running, so I'm glad about that. I'm doing it on a treadmill as I'm not ready to go on the roads yet, way too self conscious to have people skitting at me! Ye all sound like ye are doing great!
Hi newmama, first of all well done to you. That's a great start. The one thing I would say is the rest days are more for your muscles to recover than anything else. By doing it every day, if you do hurt your muscles or that, you're not giving them the recovery time they need. You sound like you're going great though, wk 2 day 2 well done. The treadmill is great, as the roads are so tough for running on, I still dont do those. Im still running circles around the field :o0 :o0
NewMama2012 Posts: 19
Thanks adelz, my head says I should do the rest days but I'm just so determined to loose the weight that I can't help doing it every day. I never thought I'd have that complaint! I usually lack total will power and motivation when it comes to exercise and dieting but thankfully this time I seem to be really focused on getting rid of this weight! Wowsers on doing the to hell and back course, I saw it on Ireland's fittest family's and it looked tough, but I'd say the sense of achievement you'll feel when you have it done will be unreal.
Thanks tbh I laughed when the girls said they were doing it :o0 Then they talked me into doing it too. Im so looking forward to it. Its great motivation to keep you focused on doing the exercise esp the running! But like you said its the sense of achievement that really stuck with me when I was thinking about doing it. Imagine knowing you just did it and succeeded! It must be an amazing feeling. Like that with doing the c25k it will be an amazing feeling finishing that and your first 5k run, what an achievement for us all
So how is everybody getting on??? I started wk 5 day 1 today and feel great after it! I was going to give myself one more day on week 4 but decided at the last min to start wk 5....so happy!!!! Now the fun starts :o)ll :compress