Couch to 5k

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

adelz Posts: 3088
Hi all, Ive decided to give the couch to 5k a go when the wthr eases off a bit. Probably mad, but I would like to do this for me.....I mind ds all day and then in the eve I go to work for the night, so I feel some days Im literally just here in the house and then work, nothing for me anymore. So as well as getting fit Ive decided to give this a try. Have any of you done it, if so how did you find it? What would you recommend? I don't run at all, so what would I need, what's the best runners etc etc? Any info or tips Id really appreciate as when the time comes I don't want to have any obstacles in my way or Ill keep putting it off! Thanks in advance :wv
Mrs W Posts: 2923
I'm no help but I am going to do it myself too. I got the book Run fat bitch run but then got pregnant so didn't actually do the running... The start if the book is very good and motivating anyway! I love the asics runners, they have great support. Let us know how you get on anyway, i need a kick up the arse!
O that's great to hear, when are you hoping to start....maybe we could egg each other on!!! Hope it goes well for you. As I said I wont start it until the weather cools a little....
Mrs W Posts: 2923
I'll start when the weather gets cooler too, maybe the week after next? I'll probably go late evenings so no one will see me stopping and starting! Having some wine now though...
Thanks got the runners today!!!! Hoping to start maybe tomorrow eve but going enjoy my wine tonight :yelrotflmaosmilie:
sunshinesteph Posts: 3
The best thing to do is go early in the morgning. I get out of bet at half past 6 and to a 5k run, just because if I plan to do it in the evening, I always cancel. So this works much better.
Do you do it before you eat or after???
Did it feel so proud to have started and complete the first day....I really thought I wouldn't of been able for it. Roll on day 2 :yelrotflmaosmilie:
sunshinesteph Posts: 3
I do it before I eat. But if you feel a little bit shakey, you could eat a boiled egg or something like that beforehand!
Bmaris Posts: 37
Hi ladies, putting the runners on and getting out the door is the hardest part!!! I started this on the 28th May, last night I jogged for 35mins straight ( just short of 5km) steady and slow is good , you can work on speed later! Every week I thought , no way, won't be able to do this , but I did ! Don't be afraid to do a week or a day a second time. Last Thursday I did the 20 min run, thought I was going to puke but between then and last night I built up to 35 mins. I listen to the radio when I'm doing it, I found that if I just listened to iPod I was thinking ' 3 mins in this song, 4 more of these left Aggghhhh' whereas with the radio between ads, requests/talking, and music I completely loose track of the time and just jog. I'm going to do my first 5km race on Wednesday , I'm giving myself 40mins which is incredibly slow but so long as I'm lifting one foot in front if the other I'm happy, it's something I couldn't do two months ago :) Ps be prepared for it to become addictive , I brought my running gear on holidays two weeks ago:-0