Menu

Coughing - pain in stomach

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
Hi girls Getting over a bad respiratory & throat infection, now the last problem remaining is a cough. Coughing has meant that when I cough now I get a pain at the front of the bump (the line to the left of my belly button) so I think I've strained my stomach muscles. I got DH to ring the midwife and ask whether coughing could hurt the baby and she said no, unless I was getting continuous labour like pains (as opposed to just a pain when I coughed) which I'm not. Just wondering whether you'd all agree with that, as I hate to think coughing would hurt the baby, I'm doing my very very best not to cough but when it wells up it's pretty much impossible to prevent it <sigh>
maisedon Posts: 1394
I've have been through something similar lately, sore throat, ear aches and brutal cough!!! I get pains in my bump too when I cough and to be honest it never entered my head that would hurt the baby, I would trust your docs opinion as baby is very well protected in there. Maybe the pain you are getting is still stretching pains? I think I'm stretching and my cough is just making the pain feel worse iykwim... The only thing that is annoying me at the moment is that every time I sneeze I wet myself!!!! :-8 :o0 :o0 :-8
hopingforsoon Posts: 1152
I would trust what the midwife has told you ... coughing is a fairly normal bodily function so little chance the coughing is hurting the baby. Your belly muscles are probably very stretched at the moment and weaker than normal, so it's more likely that you'd strain / pull muscles when they are in that condition. Are you taking anything to ease the cough?