Could MIL be right??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

OAT Posts: 2207
MIL Told me today not to ever expect to carry a girl as the men in their family don't seem to produce girls as there hasn't been a girl born into the family in 74 years (and she died at birth), do you think some men can only carry male (or female) sperm???
PetiteFeet Posts: 506
I would very much doubt it! That sounds like a massive cooincidence to me!! But you never know... I do think that some women can only carry girls/boys though. I've a few friends who have miscarried a couple of times and have all boys/girls. They think it is down to the gender of the baby why they have miscarried.
Rattles Posts: 201
Not sure if you mean within that family only, but it is true that some men carry only x sperm and some carry only y sperm and some carry both x AND y sperm if thats what ya mean?
AA11 Posts: 313
The sperm does define the sex of the baby and I do believe that some men can only have boys/girls. But I don't think you can write off your chances of having a girl...the lack of girls could just have been a coincidence..maybe you and your dh will be the ones to have the first girl in 74 years !
OAT Posts: 2207
[quote="AA11":2fefx2ds]The sperm does define the sex of the baby and I do believe that some men can only have boys/girls. But I don't think you can write off your chances of having a girl...the lack of girls could just have been a coincidence..maybe you and your dh will be the ones to have the first girl in 74 years ![/quote:2fefx2ds] Yeah maybe, I do have a feeling this baby is a girl but I can't pitcure myself with a daughter iykwim probably cos I'm so used to the boys :o0
moobear Posts: 1126
I know of a family from where I grew up & their father was one of 7 boys. He went onto have 7 sons. When the grandchildren started to arrive they were all boys and then a girl arrived!! The whole family were trilled with having a girl in the family. It is possible that it can be all boys but anything is possible
happymonkey Posts: 555
Hi Oat, I'm not sure. But in my dh family it's all boys for over 6 decades - cousins, uncles, nephews etc ... not a girl in sight and they think that I'll only have boys because of this. However, it appears I'm carrying a girl - it was difficult to make out at the scan but the sonographer was quite sure. We'll know by July either way.
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
I don't know for sure but I do know a lady that has 7 children. 4 girls with her first husband, 3 boys with her 2nd husband. The girls have all gone on to have kids of their own (girls and boys), but the boys have yet to have children.