Cramps in leg!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

bales Posts: 574
Has anyone any good remidies for cramps?Anytime I tense the calf muscle in my right leg I double over with a seriously bad cramp.Im not able to move.Have taken an anti inflammatory tablet and gently massaged it but I think there is a knot or something there. Feels really bruised.Just wondering if anyone has any cures? :o(
windycity Posts: 2241
Muscle cramps can be a sign that youre lacking in magnesium. I would get a supplement from the health shop or source food with magnesium in it - dark chocolate, Brazil nuts etc :wv
galwaygirl2010 Posts: 2447
[quote="windycity":3i42dyw4]Muscle cramps can be a sign that youre lacking in magnesium. I would get a supplement from the health shop or source food with magnesium in it - dark chocolate, Brazil nuts etc :wv[/quote:3i42dyw4] Dehydration and lack of potassium can also cause leg cramps - drink plenty of water and eat bananas
windycity Posts: 2241
Sorry Galwaygirl if I was wrong
Doozer28 Posts: 881
As previously said, drink plenty of water & eat bananas. Also, rub in some deep heat, and if it's bruised Arnica gel is really good for healing muscles (especially the yellow one in a tub but these are hard to come by). HTH
galwaygirl2010 Posts: 2447
[quote="windycity":ly3cg2r0]Sorry Galwaygirl if I was wrong[/quote:ly3cg2r0] I dont think you are wrong - magnesium deficency can cause them too - I was just adding another cause of cramps :wv
Synergy Posts: 2768
My granda rest his soul used to swear by drinking tonic water seemingly the quinine in it helps with leg cramping.
Mari yay Posts: 4045
If you stretch it make sure you bring your toe towards you, and don't point it. Stretch it before bed, that can help too according to a physio at ante natal class, it's common to get these in pregnancy. She told us to do ankle pumps which is just sitting on bed with back straight and just pump feet forwards and backwards quickly.
SheriffofArea5 Posts: 83
When I did the ould Fatkins diet many years ago, I experienced really bad leg cramp at night. The recommendation was to take magnesium and potassium supplements, which solved the problem in no time.
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
I get them the odd time - not nice at all, I just try to (painfully) walk around to ease it. Thankfully it hasn't happend in a good while - have I just jinxed myself by saying that!!! :duh: Hubby gets them more than me, but he only seems to get them at certain times......while dtd :-8 :o0 It doesn't happen all the time, just the odd time, but always seems to be at that time - and at a particular "time" ;o) too......... I'm evil, when he gets the cramp in his thigh - I grab onto whichever thigh......and start squeezing/very roughly massaging it.....he [i:1i9t3pwq]HATES[/i:1i9t3pwq] it! :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: