Menu

CranioSacral Therapy - ridiculous?!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

BipsyBoo Posts: 1534
I have heard great things about this so decided to google and read up more about it. Found the official website for Ireland and can't believe what I've read! "The baby can experience compression of the head, twisting of the neck, shoulders and back as the baby travels through the birth canal. While this is normal some babies may not be able to rebalance afterwards causing symptomatic problems such as the following conditions listed below: Autism Behavioural difficulties Brain and spinal cord injuries Cerebral Palsy Colic Connective tissue problems – e.g. Hyper and hypo ligaments. Co-ordination & balance Down Syndrome Dyslexia Failure to Thrive Syndrome Feeding difficulties Hearing problems Learning difficulties Neurological disorders Scoliosis Seizure patterns Sleep disorders Speech difficulties Strabismus Stress/trauma post partum. Vomiting. Some of the conditions I understand - colic, sleeplessness, vomiting etc - but bloody Down Syndrome?! Isn't that a chromosomal issue?! Surely a baby isn't Down Syndrom free all through pregnancy and then because of how the baby travels through the birth canal, develops it?! This stupidity doesn't instill confidence in this therapy at all and would certainly make me think twice about attending a practitioner.
Tinytots Posts: 369
This actually makes me mad, they have obviously taken a list from somewhere else and added it to their website without checking it. Which leads to more questions about these 'therapists'. I did bring my son to a craniosacral therapist in Dublin, because she was highly recommended but had I seen this website before hand there is no way I would have gone. How dare they be so careless, if that is indeed the case. Otherwise how dare they make such a ludicrous claim. I plan on writing to them to ask for an explanation.
Mamabelle2011 Posts: 363
A careless article no doubt. However i would hope the inaccuracy of this report would not deter people from considering cranio-sacral therapy. Like a lot of alternative therapies some get great benefit and others none. I swear by it for getting rid of horrible pregnancy related sciatica and for helping our DD with having a tight tummy and fluidy chest (she was 4 weeks early). I hope people keep an open mind! It would be a shame if this article destroyed basic curiosity of this therapy.
Tinytots Posts: 369
I do agree mamabelle but it is not an article, it is on the official website for Irish craniosacral therapists. If you look up babies and children, it is on the first page. A serious error in my book
I might write to them too actually - would be good to know if it's carelessness or if they actually believe the tripe they've got up on their site.
Mamabelle2011 Posts: 363
Oh god, thats a major f-up on their part. Sorry, i thought it was a article you were referring to. Appalling that it is on the official cranio website. Would be crucial to contact them and get them to change this. We should all email asap.
Gonna mail them now - I'll report back if I hear anything!
Just thought I'd paste the response I got from them today... Thank you so much for drawing our attention to this error on our website. You are absolutely right that is incorrect. We will make amends immediately. We are in the process of formatting a new website and the information got mixed up. Sincere apologies for the misunderstanding and thank you so much for bringing it to our attention. I can only recommend the treatment with a therapist who is a registered member of the association and trained in paediatrics. Feel free to call me any time. My very best wishes
Bonnie Parker Posts: 2670
thanks for updating bipsyboo.