creche fees / Tax credits ?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Chukles Posts: 672
Hi I am wondering is there such a thing? My hubby thinks there is but when we went to the tax office to change our tax to a married couple the snotty toffee nosed b**ch we were dealing with there said no such thing unless your on social welfare - can anyone enlighten me on this becasue my hubby is insisting there is definitely something you can claim Thanks in advance :wv
Moet for me Posts: 1841
Unfortunately not I'd say he is mixing it up with the additional child benefit paid to parents with children under 6 which is automatic and you don't have to do anything.
Oh maybe thats what it is so ...
Marpat Posts: 1784
sorry Chukles, there isn't anything. Of course there should be. I'm an accountant and i've had this question asked several times when I'm doing people's tax returns. MP
Yeah I kind of though this would be the story .. :o( I am clueless at tax and stuff like this so if anyone can shed some light on the following it would be great I work full time 5 days a week - if after baby is born and I decide to work say 4 or 3 days a week what way does this effect our tax and can i transfer some of my tax credits on to my hubby? I often hear people saying you wouldnt be much worse off by cutting your days each week and bar obiously not having to pay the creche for 5 days I dont understand how this works sorry for my confusing post but trying to sort this out at the moment and the lovely lady i met in the tax office was about as much help as a chocolate teapot and may have been speaking a foreign language to me Thanks in advance
Marpat Posts: 1784
Chuckles, Even if you decide to go part time after baby comes along, you will be entitled to the same tax credits that you are on now. Some couples will transfer their tax credits between them if either of them are out of work for a while. It just means that at a given time when one person is out of work and not paying tax, if they transfer the credits to the working person, their take home pay will be greater for that period. Hope this makes sense. MP
maybbaby Posts: 24
OK How is this for completely clueless, Please keep in mind that I have just returned to Ireland to live after a while away. How do tax credits work. God I feel so stupid at times when it comes to all this stuff.
Thanks for your help Marpat Yes that makes sence
StayShiny Posts: 1078
Actually there is something available. check out Bright Horizons site: As far as we are aware this scheme can be done between ANY creche and the employer ... might be worth looking into eh We've only just start researching this, so haven't anymore info
Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
What are the benefits of registering yourselves as a married couple in the tax office instead of two single people?