Creche or Childminder?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrsryan2be Posts: 231
Can you ladies give me their thoughts on creches or childminder? It would be for 5 days a week 8am to 5.30pm.
katiemomma Posts: 2690
Hi mrsryan depends really On how many kids the childminder will have and similar with the creche. will creche be very large and have lots of turn over of kids and staff? Childminder May be cheaper for you and a smaller setting may suit a smaller baby.
katiebaby78 Posts: 679
I think a childminder for 1st 2 years at least fir that one-to-one but after that I think they can benefit from being in the company of other children.
CherylC Posts: 1071
Its a very personal decision - lots of posts on here if you search. Advantage of creches: interaction with other kids, typically open longer hours, cover if employee is sick, trained staff, easier to start in creche when young than older, more supervision, structured day, Advantages of childminder: small group care, family environment, can be cheaper sometimes etc Personally I went with a creche - I like the people there, and believe that my LOs are very happy there. If one minder is sick or wants holidays its the creche issue to resolve not mine - ie I don't have to take a day off. Despite the recent Primetime programme, I believe its safer in a creche as there are other staff/ parents etc coming and going all day - I wouldn't be as sure of what was going on in a childminders home. The children are entertained in a safe and structured manner. However, i'm sure others can argue the benefits of a childminder too.
DollyMomma Posts: 1231
Yeah CherylC has summed it up well there. It's an entirely personal decision. We didn't need to put our child into creche as we have family who are willing and able to mind him but by the time he got to 12/13 months he was bored out of his mind at home with one adult all day so we made the decision to put him in creche 3 days a week - honestly it's the best decision we made, it was the makings of him. There are massive plus's to childminders too - both my parents worked fulltime when I was growing up and I had a childminder who to this day is still a huge part of my life. So yeah, it's a decison only you can make. I suggest going to view a couple of creches in your area and get a feel for them and decide if you like the set up. If you decide then you don't like the structure/routine of creche then start looking at childminders.
Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
We'd a reasonably good experience with a set-up half-way between the two - two childminders who ran a service in a dedicated room with outdoor area from a private house. Had the advantages of creche only with smaller numbers. I've often wondered if this is common as it seems a good option. Maybe something to look out for round your way for consideration.
mrsryan2be Posts: 231
thanks girls!
CJ1 Posts: 110
Research suggests that children, especially boys, fare better with one on one care for the first three years of their lives. Steve Biddulph has written a few (perhaps controversial) books that refer to this. However, like others have said, it is a personal decision - choose what is convenient for you. Just research your chosen childminder/creche very well in advance. HSE inspection reports on each creche should be online soon. If you go with a childminder, make sure they are not minding more children than the recommended ratio (I think it's one to three, but not sure).